VC10 Patches and stickers...

Post all photo threads, or photo-heavy threads here. (Links to) videos are also welcome here.
Tonkenna

Re: VC10 Patches and stickers...

Post by Tonkenna »

A couple of recent additions to the sticker collection...

And finally this one (someone else's pic as I forgot to take one of mine!)

Keep finding new ones!!

Tonks --+0+--
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

4624 one...... It was you that paid £21 for it then...... Not sure I would of buy hey ho :)

Nice additions by the way.

Andy
ACLVC10
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Well I certainly didn't want to... very occasionally you have to be aggressive LOL... I have been successful at selling some stuff so I could afford to pay over the odds... Unfortunately I was out of the country at the time so I had no ability for a last minute bid. Hey ho... you gotta want it!!!! To many people want the stuff and are willing to pay #-o
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

I must admit I was bidding on that one to but didn't have the funds to back me at the time :)
ACLVC10
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

:lol:

I was watching that sticker, I didn't bid on it though, once it got over £6 I thought things were getting a little ridiculous, I was gobsmacked when I saw what it eventually went for though! Sorry Tonks but :shock: That's a decent meal out for that money!

I like the "you want some" sticker. Where did you get it from? I'd quite like one of those.
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

You are right Thumper... sadly folks bid way to early and I was at 41000' so had to do the same... As I have said before though I eventually want to put these on display in a museum with a VC10 rather than do what most collectors do and hide them away in their houses...

The "you want some" sticker came from a seller for a far more reasonable price! I remember them being made but was unable to get one at the time though I did get the t shirt!

Tonks
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Anyone know if this is genuine? Recently seen on ebay and from Carterton apparently......

I haven't seen another ..... yet.

Noted the one Tonks has posted at the head of this thread, similar but squadron specific instead of type.

Chris
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Hi Chris,

To be honest I have no idea... I kept away from it in the end because it is similar but not one I have seen. When we wore the similar one on 10 Sqn (and they are rare) I never saw one like that at all. I did email the chap who sold it but got nothing of any real use as to its history from him.

I ummed and ahhhed about buying it but decided that it would cost an arm and a leg as everything does at the moment... can't believe a coaster went for over £20 as I have a load of those and gave numerous ones away! I am actually getting out of buying the stuff now as it is just getting really really silly. Perhaps it would have been a good one for the collection as I hope to put the badge/sticker collection on a VC10 one day, but I just cant justify the silly prices and the way folks bid these days which just drive prices artificially high...

Hey ho...

Tonks
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

You're right I'm getting pretty fed up with the eBay madness as well. Despite the silly money for stickers, books, models and patches some things are selling for a good price. I had a chat last week with a guy selling VC10 document wallets. He wanted crazy money (£50) for one, yet the XV105 wallet sold for £12 the other night;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231166531477? ... 1423.l2649

I have also contacted people with overpriced items that did not sell and offered them a very reasonable but lower price and they have been incredibly rude and just greedy (or deluded). Greed brings out the worst in people.

I liken eBay to gambling, people get caught up in the competitive excitement of a bidding war and when the adrenalin is flowing the brain (in some people) appears to stop functioning. I put a Haynes manual on eBay for sale, it was well used and sold for £32. They are £18 new in Halfords :|
petet16

Post by petet16 »

Ebay is a peculiar market to buy, and sell in, I've seen people bid items to ridiculous prices, as in Thumpers example with the Haynes manual, it's great if your a seller, the perfect scenario is 2 buyers who have a desperate need to be highest bidder irrespective of how long the auction has to run.

As a buyer I avoid any bidding until the end of the auction, sadly by the end of the auction many things have gone way beyond what I'm willing to pay.

When I look back at all the VC10 bits and pieces I could have stashed away for the future, I've missed making a fortune, but hey ho, such is life. :lol:
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

I painted a large VC10 mural in Station Workshops in their crew room back in about 1979 anyone get a pic of it at all :(

I was on the strip out team for XR809 at Kemble after the RB211 bent the airframe. We had 3 tonners there and were told to strip anything to rob for spares - the rest was scrap. We could have also made a fortune and I had many parts but as I said in another post I lost all my worldy goods in a flood along with those items. Sadly we thought the VC10 would live forever and not end up in a museum :-({{|=