ZA147 @ Yeovilton Video

Post all photo threads, or photo-heavy threads here. (Links to) videos are also welcome here.
Thumper

Re: ZA147 @ Yeovilton Video

Post by Thumper »

Well hello former Dorset forumer! *waves*

10itis, very good play on words, I like that one! =D>
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Hi Voli.

Indeed the VC10 was designed and built at a time when Britain was ahead of the world in airliner technology and the team at Weybridge were at the top of that tree.

I worked in the Main Design Office Drawing Library in mid 1970 and met Ernie Marshall (Chief Project Engineer) on the VC10 on several occasions and a very interesting chap he was who was proud of having pioneered 'Machined from Solid' technology for wing and other skins.

You mention Concorde. Although assembled at Filton much of the design work and indeed the manufacture of components was done at Weybridge and virtually the whole of the Weybridge Main D O was engaged on Concorde work, as were the machine shops, when I worked there; with just a section remaining working on VC10 modifications.

ATB

Dave
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Manofmendip wrote:Hi Voli.

Indeed the VC10 was designed and built at a time when Britain was ahead of the world in airliner technology and the team at Weybridge were at the top of that tree.

I worked in the Main Design Office Drawing Library in mid 1970 and met Ernie Marshall (Chief Project Engineer) on the VC10 on several occasions and a very interesting chap he was who was proud of having pioneered 'Machined from Solid' technology for wing and other skins.

You mention Concorde. Although assembled at Filton much of the design work and indeed the manufacture of components was done at Weybridge and virtually the whole of the Weybridge Main D O was engaged on Concorde work, as were the machine shops, when I worked there; with just a section remaining working on VC10 modifications.

ATB

Dave
One of my favourite films is "Concorde -The Early Years". It goes into quite a lot of detail.
What always amuses me here is when I show students photos of the VC10 they often ask "Is it new?" They don't believe me when I say it's more than 50 years old!

Talking of photos there is one that I'd like to get a copy of. It's on the back of Martin Hedley's book.
If anyone knows of the source or has a decent sized copy I'd be interested.
vololiberista
vc10x.jpg
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It's XV104, a quick Google search and I can't find the image so it might be worth contacting the publishers of the book if they are still going!
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

ZA147 @ Yeovilton Video

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

XV104 was often used for promotional stuff in the early years of 10 Sqn so there are quite a few photos of her about. I'd hazard a guess (will check later) that this one isn't in the archives at Brooklands as I don't recall seeing it. I know it from Hedley's book obviously but I don't think you'll get very far through the publishers of that as it is getting on in years by now. The book might list the copyright info somewhere though, have you looked for that? If I can have another go in the guessing game I'd say it might have been taken by the RAF which makes it Crown Copyright. I don't know where you'd have to go for a copy though.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:XV104 was often used for promotional stuff in the early years of 10 Sqn so there are quite a few photos of her about. I'd hazard a guess (will check later) that this one isn't in the archives at Brooklands as I don't recall seeing it. I know it from Hedley's book obviously but I don't think you'll get very far through the publishers of that as it is getting on in years by now. The book might list the copyright info somewhere though, have you looked for that? If I can have another go in the guessing game I'd say it might have been taken by the RAF which makes it Crown Copyright. I don't know where you'd have to go for a copy though.
Yes on the image it says Crown Copyright. Perhaps I'll ask the Queen!!! :-)
It must be somewhere in the RAF archives perhaps even of 10 Sqn.
vololiberista
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

You could try asking ICM on here if he's seen a copy of it. There isn't a central RAF archive for stuff like this unfortunately.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.