BOB back in 2009... (another pic added)

Post all photo threads, or photo-heavy threads here. (Links to) videos are also welcome here.
Tonkenna

BOB back in 2009... (another pic added)

Post by Tonkenna »

Found some Olympus Raw Files that I can now read... I did use the jpeg files a few years ago, but the raw files are so much more useful... any here is one of BOB back in her flying days:

"BOB" XR808 VC10 C1K by ZZ330, on Flickr

Vickers VC10 C1K XR808 "BOB" by ZZ330, on Flickr
Well, the good news is that she is now being dismantled in preparation for the mvd to Cosford... I am sure it will take a while, but she is on her way...

Tonks --+0+--
Last edited by Tonkenna on Mon May 05, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Thumper

Re: BOB back in 2009...

Post by Thumper »

Wow, that's an incredible photograph!! Good to hear BOB is getting ready for his journey.
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Thanks Helen...

Isn't it funny that you see Bob as a he where as I called her a her... I have always seen the VC10 as female and Bob as Bob in Black Adder. I am not sure how far back Bob was known as Bob... but I have always seen ac like ships as her...

Looking forward to seeing how they are going to move the big bits of her to Cosford... a major piece of road haul!!

Tonks :mrgreen:
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

BOB is the only bloke amongst the fleet for me, he has a tail tattoo and is troublesome... surely a bloke :lol:

Wasn't Bob in Blackadder a woman? I always tried to avoid that programme as I hated it but I was forced to watch many episodes :shock:

It's going to be a pretty impressive sight when BOB is transported to Cosford, several low loaders bringing the roads to a standstill, will they split the whale tail in half, i.e. remove the top bit? I hope nothing majorly destructive that needs welding back on will be done. No idea what route they will take but guessing it's gonna be the M6. Shouldn't be a problem actually, the M6 is always at a standstill anyway!
ICM

Post by ICM »

Tonks:
I think I've mentioned somewhere before now that I've no recollection of 'Bob' in daily use back in mid/late 70s, and that the aircraft were referred to then simply as '808,' '105' and so forth. And if a gender was needed, I'd say always feminine! Either way, Hallelujah that she/he is going to Cosford in the end - there should then be four airframes I've flown there, Meteor NF14, Argosy, Belfast, and VC 10!
Ian Macmillan
rpontin

Post by rpontin »

I retired as a GE in 83 and I agree with you I had never heard 808 call BOB in my days with the fleet. Roy
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

I am convinced it came from "Bob" in Blackadder. Whilst she was in one of the earlier series she was seen most of in Blackadder Goes Fourth, the WW1 series which first aired in 89, but became really popular when it was released on video in the 90s.

Anyway, being on 101 in the 90s meant I had nothing to do with the C1K, but I certainly remember her being called Bob in the early 2000s when I rejoined 10 and we flew all Mks.

Tonks :D
Charlie

Re: BOB back in 2009... (another pic added)

Post by Charlie »

The first of the two is probably my favourite picture of a VC10. Lovely shot! :)

Brilliant to hear the road move is going ahead too.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: BOB back in 2009... (another pic added)

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

'Bob' first appeared in Season 2, episode 1 (first aired January 1986), only to be swept away by Lord Flashheart at the end of the episode.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLTR8qYWJbQ[/youtube]

The character turned up again in Season 4 as Tonks mentioned, as Lord Melchett's driver, Private "Bob" Parkhurst. First in episode 3, 'Major Star' which first aired on 12 October 1989 and again in episode 4, 'Private Plane' which first aired a week later.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.