VC10 modelmakers' drawings, anyone?

A place to discuss scale variants of the VC10 design. Topics about die-cast models, kits or any other scale versions are welcome.
skippiebg

VC10 modelmakers' drawings, anyone?

Post by skippiebg »

I am a newly joined member, VC10 fan since childhood, and aeroplane scale modeller.

I am after a set of good VC10 drawings to correct and detail an Airfix tanker model. I know that the now-folded Aeromodeller magazine published a cracking set of really detailed VC10 drawings (including the colour scheme for the RAF version) sometime in the mid/late 1960s. A copy of those would be extremely welcome! Searching the web for "VC10 drawings" or "plans" produces the same old good-but-plain BAC duo of the VC10 and Super VC10.

I do not envisage anyone going to any trouble on my account. Just if anyone does happen to have the drawings, perhaps they can scan them at 1-to-1 size and email them to me (my email can take very large files).

Thanks in advance!

Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

I may have something that is of use... I will have to do some digging and possibly some scanning. I would be interested in seeing pics of the finished product. I tried to get into modeling some years ago but proved to be rubbish at it. I had a set of decals from which you could make any RAF VC10 and eventually sold them on Ebay... they went for £49!!!! I have a few un-made VC10s and I guess they will always stay that way.

Tonks 8)

skippiebg

Post by skippiebg »

Tonkenna, that would be great, as and when you get the chance and time.

I've been meaning to get a digital camera to document my model builds and results for some time, and the right time may well be now :) Film too big a drag, what with processing, et c...

VC10 kits used to fetch goodish prices on ebay, etc, but the Airfix reissue has reined prices in. Now, the FROG Super is another matter. I have salted one away since 1989. Bought it at £40 and am reliably told the reserve would now be £200...

Aah... used to have those RAF decals. Bought them at VHF Supplies, a Hounslow spotters shop that also catered for my cargo cult many a year ago. The model I used them on has now long resided in er-r... the great model hangar in the sky

Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Not a prob... just PM'd you. I have a couple of the old Airfix kits, a Welsh Models K4 and a few other bits and bobs. Would love to get a Frog one... but Mrs T would kill me if I spent that kind of money :shock:

Tonks 8)

skippiebg

Post by skippiebg »

Thanks!

Yeah, with all those these investing-in-houses programmes, we could just about have one on investing in kits :)

The behind the scenes story of the kits is interesting. FROG and Airfix were both at the Wimbledon end of South London, up the road from Weybridge. So BAC/Vickers had them round to help make the models better. Both were asked to mould the kits in grey, rather than the "metallic" that was popular at the time, to emphasise the anti-corrosion primer! Airfix is better in shape, especially around the tail, but there's little in it. FROG's was a Super with movable slats and flaps, and a battery and lamp to light up the windows, so a bit Frankensteinian around the wing. The Russians bought the FROG kit along with all the rest and the tooling was last seen in Tashkent in Central Asia going rusty. They did release some plain bagged kits with BA decals and no lights, though.

BAC also had Airfix and FROG do 1-11s. FROG never managed to finish theirs off (it would have been a 1/72 scale monster), but the Airfix is rather decent despite its faults.

Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

I have a 1/72 scale VC10 model, an old travel agents type model, and very nice it is too.

I have a few other models of the 10 as well, various sizes. I will get a tanker made at some point, but I still think the 10 looked best in BOAC colours. Check you email I have sent you something useful I hope...

Tonks 8)

skippiebg

Post by skippiebg »

Very grateful! Great decal, super sharp scan. I've now edited it and will print out once I've degunked the inkjet. Got special paper from Hobbies down the road, too. Itching to start the proj. My fave is RAF Air Support Command, with the Sqn badge and individual names. Also EAA. All in the eye of the beholder :)