JC Wings 1/200 BOAC Super VC10

A place to discuss scale variants of the VC10 design. Topics about die-cast models, kits or any other scale versions are welcome.
paulm7010

JC Wings 1/200 BOAC Super VC10

Post by paulm7010 »

Hi all
Just received this model, its G-ASGC with the large gold speedbird on the fin, however it has the "meatcleaver" cheatline. I can find no pictorial proof that the aircraft was ever painted this way. Anybody have different info?
Thanks
Paul
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: JC Wings 1/200 BOAC Super VC10

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I would be interested in seeing some photos, could you post a few perhaps? (You can attach them using the controls below the message box.)

There were a few Supers in that scheme, I looked up some details about them a while ago but I'll need to check whether 'GC was one of the 'confirmed' ones.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
paulm7010

Post by paulm7010 »

Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I hadn't seen those photos yet, thanks!

As for the scheme, all the Standards were delivered with the 'meatcleaver' cheatline scheme (let's continue calling it that). But during the testing phase for the Supers a decision was made to change the scheme. When the Super made it's first commercial flight that airframe (IIRC it was 'GD, see here) already had the newer version of the scheme but before that at least three Supers carried the meatcleaver version.
  • There is video footage of G-ASGC being rolled out of it's hangar in the meatcleaver scheme. This is in a video called 'Look at Life - Spirit of Brooklands' which I haven't seen myself. There is also a photo of 'GC in this scheme in the Scott Henderson book.
  • There are photos of G-ASGB in the meatcleaver scheme, parked at Johannesburg during a proving flight. These are in Lance Cole's book and Martin Hedley's book.
  • There is a photo of G-ASGA (according to the caption) also parked at Jo'burg in the meatcleaver scheme in Lance Cole's book, but the registration is not very clear on the photo. I think it is 'GA and I have a tentative confirmation of this but we could argue this one!
For info on the books see here: http://www.vc10.net/Misc/sources.html

So your model is correct! I'm not a big fan of the JC Wings models but they are good value for money I think.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

The video is on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PClV1nqNlvg
Vololiberista
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

That's the one! It's a preview for the full DVD but the roll-out shot can be seen from 5:02 on.

(The DVD is available from video125.co.uk).
paulm7010

Post by paulm7010 »

Thanks for the info!

Post by 1103 »

GC takes to the air for the first time

I had a look at the model photo's but once again the size of the aerials and the wing fences spoil it for me