Standard-> Super Fuselage extension

A place to discuss scale variants of the VC10 design. Topics about die-cast models, kits or any other scale versions are welcome.
giblets

Standard-> Super Fuselage extension

Post by giblets »

Hi there,
I know the fuselage of the VC-10 was extended, but was wondering if anyone knew how much of the extension was fore/ aft of the wing (Extending an Airfix Standard to a super), so need to know how long the pplugs should be in both places
Kind regards
Edward
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Not got the info to hand as I am not in the country at the moment. It was 13 feet in total. I will ask a work tomorrow as one of the engineers will know. It may well be somewhere in Jelles site somewhere... most stuff is.

Tonks 8)
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

The fuselage was indeed extended by inserting two sections. Together this added 3,96 metres, or 156 inches to the aircraft's length. 75 inches were added forward of the wings and 81 inches behind the wings. The image below shows the locations. Top fuselage is the Standard, bottom one is the Super with the extensions placed at A and B.

I was recently made aware of this company by the way: http://www.brazmodels.com, they will be producing a conversion kit to create a Super VC10 from the Airfix kit. Worth looking at perhaps?

Good luck with your model. Could you post or send me a photo when it is finished perhaps? I could include it in the site.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

There ya go Edward, I knew Jelle would know... he knows a lota sh*te :lol: :lol:

Tonks 8)
giblets

Cheers

Post by giblets »

Hey there, thanks for the advice on this! Hope we haver her flying for many years to come!
JEngO

Post by JEngO »

The Braz models site does now show a resin kit for converting the airfix kit into a super. Great! now I don't have to butcher 2 or 3 of the airfix kits to make my RAF K3! (most probably ZA150 'J' sweltering in the Bahraini sunshine) 8)

When I get 'round to it - I'll try to remember to post some pictures.