Hello

Looking for someone? Want to get in touch with other enthusiasts? This would be the place to post a message.
EGDGZTCW

Hello

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Hello everyone, I've just joined the forum having come across it while searching the excellent VC10 website.

My interest started with the VC10, well all things aviation really, as a very young boy, visiting Heathrow on a Sunday with mum and dad and watching the comings and goings while having lunch in the Queens building. Plus the many airshows they took me to. This was the 60's and 70's so the VC10 was a common site and one that I loved. Dad took many photo's and many where VC10's .... and Concorde of course! Joining the RAF, I found myself at Brize as a first posting. I wasn't aircrew but I got to fly with 10 Sqn to Cyprus a couple of times and mum and dad got to fly during a families day....they still talk about it even now.

Fast forward to the present day and I find myself lucky enough to live in North Cornwall and as you know, ZA148 is just down the road in Newquay with the Classic Air Force. I work at Newquay Airport and volunteer in Flight Ops at CAF. Having ZA148 just outside is wonderful and I feel privelidged that the CAF allow me to show people around her. She is easily the most the most popular exhibit not to mention the largest! I have met many interesting people during the past few weeks that ZA148 has been open. Only last week a former Flight Engineer from 101 sat with me on the flightdeck and told us some wonderful stories. Also, would you believe it, a former EAA FE lives just up the road and was thrilled to sit back in his seat, again many experiences and stories were told.

Anyway, sorry if I've rambled on. If anyone out there needs any photo's of anything on this aircraft for research or whatever, please let me know, I would be happy to post them up for you. She is complete.....well apart from the Conways of course but at least we have one to display in due course. The periscope is still here and works fine. I didn't know what it was until I found it on this website while I was researching this airframe.

Many thanks and kindest regards,

Chris
Tonkenna

Re: Hello

Post by Tonkenna »

Hi Chris and welcome to the site. I look forward to visiting 147 in the near future and reacquainting myself with her. Glad to hear you are keeping an eye on her. ..

All the best.

Tonks :)
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Welcome to the site Chris! I'm sure Tonks meant to say ZA148 instead of 147... All those numbers can be confusing sometimes ;)
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Thank you for the warm welcome. I knew what Tonks was referring to :D
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Lol... Yeah... That one. :D

Tonks :mrgreen:
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/