Images required for merchandising for August open day

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Magnum

Images required for merchandising for August open day

Post by Magnum »

With the August open day looming closer I am making an appeal for some decent pictures of ZD241 that could be used for a range of merchandise to sell on the day. It would be great to have a choice of images including her early days with BOAC and BA as well. Static or airborne, take off or landing! Hopefully there will be a reasonable number of images to consider then we would put a shortlist on here for peoples comments before making a final decision. Please message me for details of where to send images.

Thumper

Re: Images required for merchandising for August open day

Post by Thumper »

37 lovely images on Airliners.net, military not civil livery though.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... arch=ZD241

Contact the photographer to seek permission using the contact button next to the photograph.

Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Thank you Helen, will have a look through there.

Are there any you think would look good on mugs and things?

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Would be good to incorporate the VC10 tribute design onto a mug maybe?? ;)

Not sure whether the designs are still lurking around???
ACLVC10

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Magnum wrote:Thank you Helen, will have a look through there.

Are there any you think would look good on mugs and things?
I have a quite a few aviation themed mugs and from all of them I really like the technical print mugs, I've never found a company that have done them, I picked up a set from a stand at RIAT with blueprints of a Harrier, Phantom and Jaguar on them. I also have a fair few mugs from Squadron Prints which are excellent. I don't like 'photograph' mugs, I think they look cheap as you can get them done on Zazzle or Cafe Press for a few quid.

Perhaps Dave could offer some information with regards to blueprints?

The VC-10 tribute shirt design cannot be used on merchandise for profit. The shirts were sold to private individuals at cost price and the money that is going to ZD241 was received in the form of donations.

I have the 'BOB' mug from Squadron Prints (amongst others) and I personally feel that these mugs are stylish, smart, of exceptional quality and good value for money.

As with all marketing and merchandise it is best to research heavily, make sure you are legally above board with everything particularly with regards to copywrite and artistic license and then put out a P.A announcement such as "free VC-10 tour for 30 people if you spare 30 minutes to take part in a focus group". Have a focus group made up of a mix of people from enthusiasts to a family who can comment on your products so you have an idea of what will sell and what won't and to receive some new ideas too. Also ask your customers on the day, keep a notepad and pen handy, ask them what they would like to have bought and how much they would be willing to pay for it.

It's all very well buying a load of mugs because someone says "they are a best seller", of course they will, they want your business, but that doesn't really apply to individual companies. The Red Arrows may sell loads of inflatable toys but VTST may have a box of 10,000 out the back unsold. I cannot stress enough that you need a trial run for low cost. Grab a few key rings, pens, cards, mugs, stickers that won't break the bank, don't worry about selling out in 5 minutes, there will be more days and then you'll know what does sell :D

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Sorry Helen, I forgot about it only being for non profit etc.

Sound advice there aswell.....;)
ACLVC10

ZD241

Post by ZD241 »

I would also think that we should try and do something a little different to what is already out there. With things like mugs, keyrings etc there is already loads out there so you either need to come up with a idea for them that is different enough that people will want to buy it or come up with a merchandising idea that no one has already come up with.

ZD241

Post by ZD241 »

Thumper wrote: I have a quite a few aviation themed mugs and from all of them I really like the technical print mugs, I've never found a company that have done them, I picked up a set from a stand at RIAT with blueprints of a Harrier, Phantom and Jaguar on them. I also have a fair few mugs from Squadron Prints which are excellent. I don't like 'photograph' mugs, I think they look cheap as you can get them done on Zazzle or Cafe Press for a few quid.

Perhaps Dave could offer some information with regards to blueprints?
GJD has a full set of VC10 technical AP's so there could be some good images in them to use

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

ZD241 wrote:I would also think that we should try and do something a little different to what is already out there. With things like mugs, keyrings etc there is already loads out there so you either need to come up with a idea for them that is different enough that people will want to buy it or come up with a merchandising idea that no one has already come up with.
I quite agree with this but the problem is that I believe the decision has already been made that the merchandise will consist of 'the usual', at least that's how I took it from reading the minutes for the group meeting. I had several ideas for unique products but the problem is having the finances in place up front to get it going and then you don't know if that product will sell well or at a good price to bring in a worthwhile profit. Sometimes it is just easier to go with 'the usual' and have a small profit from an item that has a high turnover rather than a larger profit from an item with a small turnover.

One of my merchandise ideas which I ran past David Simmonds was the 'festival bracelets' made from rubber and then printed with a logo and/or words. These will almost certainly have a reasonably high turnover and the cost price is so insignificant that a profit will be easily achievable. They are also very popular items for both children and adults, enthusiasts or families.

Flour Power

Post by Flour Power »

Thumper wrote:...at least that's how I took it from reading the minutes for the group meeting.
When were the minutes published please? I've never received anything from the group since I signed up in August last year. :?

I've checked my images, and I don't appear to have anything of '241 at all. :-({{|=

Cheers,

Mike

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Hi Mike, with the minutes I think you only received them if you either attended the meeting or gave your apologies that you couldn't attend.

Flour Power

Post by Flour Power »

Thanks Helen, that'll explain it.

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

I'm sure someone from the group could forward them to you?
ACLVC10

Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Flour Power wrote:Thanks Helen, that'll explain it.
Mike,

pm me your email address.

You'll have to try and make the August open day to get some shots of 241.

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Magnum wrote:
Flour Power wrote:Thanks Helen, that'll explain it.
Mike,

pm me your email address.

You'll have to try and make the August open day to get some shots of 241.
Confession, I've already forwarded the minutes to Mike, hope this isn't a problem.

Andy
ACLVC10