Unhappy anniversary!!

Any VC10 related discussions.....
AJW

Unhappy anniversary!!

Post by AJW »

I can't believe it's been a year since we last heard the roar of the Conway four above our heads already!

Hope you have all had your VC10 fix regardless at one of the many final resting places of the Queen!
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Unhappy anniversary!!

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

It's not the happiest of anniversaries, but a day worth remembering nonetheless.

I certainly got my fix last weekend.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411767627.861515.jpg
I've got better photos that don't show her looking shabby but they're not on my phone unfortunately.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
vololiberista

Re: Unhappy anniversary!!

Post by vololiberista »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:It's not the happiest of anniversaries, but a day worth remembering nonetheless.

I certainly got my fix last weekend.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411767627.861515.jpg
I've got better photos that don't show her looking shabby but they're not on my phone unfortunately.
Yes I noticed too when I went :-( Also there are quite a few bits missing from the wing surfaces due to corrosion.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: Unhappy anniversary!!

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

A lot of work is needed to keep the aircraft in good shape. During the Summer Projects (1998 - 2002), some of which I was involved in, a major part of the tasks was to get all the corrosion removed from the wings and fuselage. We are now at least twelve years on and some of this work may need to be revisited. Also we didn't do all that much work on the flaps and slats. The flaps on the left hand side were stuck halfway down and getting them back up was already a major coup.

In recent years the VC10 team has started to dismantle part of the flap and slat system so that the flaps and slats themselves can be treated for corrosion. This is a major task but it is slowly progressing. While all this work is going on cleaning the airframe or even starting on a repaint is a bit premature perhaps.

Here's a better photo from the previous weekend:
Attachments
A4O-AB_Sept14.jpg
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.