RR Conway Thrust Tables

Any VC10 related discussions.....
User avatar
vololiberista
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Location: LIMZ - CUF

RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by vololiberista »

Does anyone have thrust tables or calculations of the 550 engine? I've done some calculations but would like to compare then with real numbers if possible

bobisqueen
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:42 am

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by bobisqueen »

Is this any good?
Attachments
Thrust1.jpg

User avatar
vololiberista
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Location: LIMZ - CUF

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by vololiberista »

bobisqueen wrote:Is this any good?
Is that plotted against CN1 or CN2?

bobisqueen
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:42 am

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by bobisqueen »

Its for the HP spool (N2)

Here's the graph for N1 v N2
Attachments
N1vN2.jpg

User avatar
vololiberista
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Location: LIMZ - CUF

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by vololiberista »

bobisqueen wrote:Its for the HP spool (N2)

Here's the graph for N1 v N2
Many thanks Bob
PS I'd like the bottom part as well that's cut off if possible.

User avatar
vololiberista
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Location: LIMZ - CUF

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by vololiberista »

Having chewed the numbers i.e. I plotted graphs for values below 60% and for engine limitations above 100% I came across a couple of anomalies.
One in particular being n1idle thrust at ISA. It seems to be a lot higher than expected at 28%. I always thought it to be 24 or 25%. Am I correct?

bobisqueen
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:42 am

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by bobisqueen »

I'll sort that out when I'm back at home (the other half of the graph)

N1 idle of 28 is about right (during post start checks N1 was checked to be roughly half of n2. Standard n2 was 56-58)

User avatar
vololiberista
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Location: LIMZ - CUF

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by vololiberista »

bobisqueen wrote:I'll sort that out when I'm back at home (the other half of the graph)

N1 idle of 28 is about right (during post start checks N1 was checked to be roughly half of n2. Standard n2 was 56-58)
Thanks for that :-)
n2 is spot on. I was under the mistaken impression that n1 idle was a bit lower.

bobisqueen
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:42 am

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by bobisqueen »

The Post ECU test paperwork says the LPRPM should be 30% but in reality it was a couple % lower.

Also the Thrust produced was 22500lb average, guaranteed minimum was 21580lb.

Heres the other half of the graph.
Attachments
Thrust2.jpg

User avatar
vololiberista
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Location: LIMZ - CUF

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by vololiberista »

bobisqueen wrote:The Post ECU test paperwork says the LPRPM should be 30% but in reality it was a couple % lower.

Also the Thrust produced was 22500lb average, guaranteed minimum was 21580lb.

Heres the other half of the graph.
Excellent Bob,
Many thanks. If I may bore you with one other question :-({{|=
The various manuels talk of taxiing at idle thrust. One would presume that the aircraft would not be at max auw. Could one therefore assume say 10-15kts at middling weights?

bobisqueen
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:42 am

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by bobisqueen »

I'm no expert in that department so I'll give you my answer and hopefully a driver will come along and give a better answer!

Having sat on the jump seat many times, they normally 'throttle up slightly' to get moving and then return to idle were that always seemed enough to keep the aircraft moving at most weights. 10-15kts would seem about right.

When we taxi 241 which is very light, idle power is too much and the aircraft speed can get ahead of its self if it's not kept under control

User avatar
vololiberista
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Location: LIMZ - CUF

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by vololiberista »

bobisqueen wrote:I'm no expert in that department so I'll give you my answer and hopefully a driver will come along and give a better answer!

Having sat on the jump seat many times, they normally 'throttle up slightly' to get moving and then return to idle were that always seemed enough to keep the aircraft moving at most weights. 10-15kts would seem about right.

When we taxi 241 which is very light, idle power is too much and the aircraft speed can get ahead of its self if it's not kept under control
That's pretty much as I figured Bob, thanks. If I recall breakaway thrust is 68% n2.

bobisqueen
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:42 am

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by bobisqueen »

Breakaway thrust would depend on weights and outside conditions etc but I wouldn't expect to be any more than 68%

User avatar
vololiberista
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Location: LIMZ - CUF

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by vololiberista »

Bbq,
Can you remember a ball park n2 setting for cruise at 0.84Mach. Would it be high 80's mid or low 80's in your recollection. Obviously it depends on altitude too which is why a ball park figure would do.

Thanks.

bobisqueen
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:42 am

Re: RR Conway Thrust Tables

Post by bobisqueen »

I would say mid to high 80's.

Post Reply