'Bob' is on the move

Any VC10 related discussions.....
bobisqueen

Re: 'Bob' is on the move

Post by bobisqueen »

The inboard wings and centre wing section along with the U/C are next to get removed then it will be prep for the road move. I believe the route has now been checked but I will ask Gary this weekend if he has any more information.
Rob68

Post by Rob68 »

Aeroplane Monthly have a small article this month saying BOB will be moving the two weekends after the Cosford air show
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

There are some photos in this thread on Britmodellers showing the first parts of Bob to arrive: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... ?p=1888836

The rest of the thread is about builing an Anigrand 1/72 kit as ZD241, might also be interesting...
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

Once at Cosford do you know if they are going to put her back into the proper 'classic' colours (white over grey) and take the nasty tanking stuff off her? It ruins the lines anyway and it would be nice to have her as original when the aircraft entered service :) The C Mk1 aircraft spent a lot more years in that colour than the NATO eeeurgh colour!

I think the original colour is more befitting of her sterling service around the world, the sun glinting off the fuselage as she took off from Kai Tak, Deci or Wideawake 8)
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

Aside from the colour and tanker argument, I doubt she will be repainted in her transport colours as the cost is astronomical!

I was with the guys that look after GC at Duxford and when they told me costs regarding repainting her, including cost of staging etc etc I fell of my chair!
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

great shame, yeah it would cost a packet and the would need a space similar to spray bay at Base hangar to accomplish something that looked decent. Our poor old G-ASIX (A40-AB) at Brooklands is in dire need of a repaint as corrosion is setting in badly and she is looking tatty :cry: I wonder how or when that could be achieved.
Rob68

Post by Rob68 »

No mention that BOB is moving tomorrow or have I missed it?
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Definately on the move according to the XR808 Facebook page.....

https://www.facebook.com/XR808
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Indeed, I've just added a small bit to the site and the Facebook page as well. Currently somewhere on the M54 or thereabouts.
ICM

Post by ICM »

Quite by chance, this has turned out to be another memorable day in 10 Squadron's Centenary year. 808 and its siblings had flown for some 21-22 years when the Squadron had its second Standard presented by Mrs Thatcher in 1988. Standards require 25 years of service for their award, so it was very much the service of the VC10 fleet that lay behind the award of that particular one. A third Standard was presented in January this year, and it strikes me as eminently fitting that that second Standard should have been laid-up for posterity in St Clement Danes Church, London, this morning - for, as one symbol of an era was put reverently away, another was driven north for a rebuild and permanent display.
Ian Macmillan
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Very fitting indeed! I had read about the ceremony at St Clemens Danes Church but had not realised that it was today!
linuxyeti

Post by linuxyeti »

Hi All

Here are my photos of Bob, on the M54 this morning.

http://aircraftpics.no-ip.org/M54_Wolve ... index.html

I would imagine, safely tucked up at Cosford by now, as those photos were taken around 09:45

Cheers

Tony
ICM

Post by ICM »

Just for the record, the RAF Museum at Cosford has gone online to confirm that 808's rebuild is complete, with the airframe now on display adjacent to a C-130. (And I believe that makes 4 aircraft at Cosford that I flew in at various times, so I really must get myself up there sometime!)

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/cosford/wha ... -complete/
Ian Macmillan
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

That's great news! I had a feeling that the end was near, good to hear that this mammoth task is now complete and XR808 is safe in her new home. Now I really need to plan a visit....
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Just popping in to add that RAF Cosford now has a new Assistant Director, Mr Paul Pomfret. I have had to start the talks all over again with regards to the fundraising this forum (and beyond) did for XR808. The good news is that everything is set now and I will be raising the cheque tomorrow and sending it to RAF Cosford to be used to support the XR808 project. Unfortunately I just cannot get the time off work to present the cheque in person hence it will be posted (recorded and insured of course)!

Mr Pomfret is very grateful for all our efforts in raising the money for BOB and he seems like an excellent addition to the RAF Museum who cares a great deal for the aircraft there. If you happen to visit do go and say hello to him, and of course Bob :wink: