VC 10 crewing

Any VC10 related discussions.....
mpavett

VC 10 crewing

Post by mpavett »

New magazine available at WHSmiths. I have glanced through pretty carefully. I cannot find any reference to the Flight Engineer or pictures. It seems he had nothing to do with the airline operation. All civil VC 10s carried a Flight Engineer.Of the photos in the magazine I was think I was in about 50% of those Aircraft including especially the flight test ones pretty much ALL of the super VC 10s. When I think back at hundreds of dynamic stalls etc that I endured.It seems to me that at least one mention would be appropriate. Incidentally they did not carry THIRD pilots.

Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

VC 10 crewing

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Just a thought but could the third pilot statement refer to the fact that the navigator was (usually) another co-pilot with a navigator's license? I seem to recall that BOAC composed their crews this way until the INS systems replaced the human navigator.

mpavett

Re: VC 10 crewing

Post by mpavett »

The last crewing complement on VC-10s was Captain Copilot Engineer Officer and ,when needed ,another pilot in left hand jump seat for navigation purposes. Minimum crew legally three two pilots and one flight engineer.