RAF VC-10 to Singers

Any VC10 related discussions.....
dpsilverba

RAF VC-10 to Singers

Post by dpsilverba »

Mods I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this - please move if required.

Whilst serving with the Royal Navy I had the privilege of flying on a VC-10 from BZZ - AUH - CMB - BWH - QWB returning via PEN - CMB -BAH -AKT -FFD along the way having my first go around (CMB), smoke in the cabin (QWB - CMB) in either 2005 or 2006 on a deployment to the 'Five Stars' alliance exercises in the South China sea.

Memorable moments on the outbound flight (apart from the go-around) was the steward telling me that "if we hit a mountain the mountain would come off worst"; On the way back from QWB the engines started up - quickly shut down and we de-planed. Whilst waiting in the bus adjacent to the aircraft the cabin crew came round with the sandwiches we were meant to have on the short hop to BWH.

Six hours later, having really annoyed the Sinagporean Air Force Seargents Mess and after the RAF mechanic had returned from hospital nursing his broken arm (he'd fallen off the ladder on which he was trying to fix the fuel pissing out of the Starboard Inner Engine) We head to CMB. Stopping off at PEN to pick up pax ex BWH. Mid air dramas there is smoke in the cabin but the loadmaster tells there is nothing to worry about.

From CMB we are routed AKT then FFD due to BZZ runway being closed for maintenance. However we eventully route CMB - BAH -AKT -FFD

This might ring bells with someone - so if you can tell me the VC10 I flew on very very many thanks
bobisqueen

Re: RAF VC-10 to Singers

Post by bobisqueen »

I think I was on this flight. It would have been Sept 05. I did 3 weeks in Singapore as part of the exercise. The Sgt with a broken arm is what confirms I was on that aircraft along with taking off from brize but landing back a Fairford.. He fell from a chock while adjusting the refuel panel. I've got some photos at home that I can post if you like but I'm away on holiday. As for the jet, I think it was XV105 or 107 but will confirm with the pictures.
Last edited by bobisqueen on Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

Also the go around at CMB was due to a cow on the runway. I remember flying over Sri Lanka and it was very somber as you could see the damage from the sunami.
dpsilverba

Post by dpsilverba »

Sorry for the delay in replying. A phot of the aircraft would be nice. Thanks for taking the time to give me the information :)
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Smoke in the cabin was usually caused by overfilling the cabin comp with too much oil if I remember right lol. Either that or fire.