What next for ZA147?

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

What next for ZA147?

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Following on from the News item on my website, please use this topic to send in or discuss possible options for ZA147.
The fourth anniversary of the final flight of a VC10 was just a few weeks ago, and this might be a good opportunity to throw an interesting question out there: what should become of the VC10 that carried out this final flight?

VC10 K3 ZA147 started life as East African Airways' second airfame, registered as 5H-MMT it was delivered in October 1966. After its second first flight as a K3 tanker in August 1985 it served with 101 Squadron until that sad day, 25th September 2013, when it closed the book on the VC10's active, flying life. It has since been stored at Bruntingthorpe and as such serves as a spares ship for ZD241. The problem is that this is not a situation that can last forever as over time the airframe will deteriorate from being exposed to the elements on the outside, and moisture problems on the inside. The team looking after ZD241 managed to clean up ZA147 just a few weeks ago but this is not a long term solution.

Ideally the airframe could be moved to a museum in the UK that is willing to taken on the responsibility of looking after a complete airframe. GJD Services at Bruntingthorpe has the tools and knowledge to do this, having moved XR808 to RAF Cosford in 2015, but they cannot do this for free. So now is the time to think about possible homes for this record-breaking airframe and possible ways to collect the needed funds for a move.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
CONCORDE-204

Re: What next for ZA147?

Post by CONCORDE-204 »

Duxford would be nice, have ZA147 with her sister G-ASGC. Filton have just opened a new museum with Concorde G-BOAF. I know the VC10's are not Bristol aircraft or built on the airfield but I thought the VC10 fleet from British Airways where converted into tankers at Filton. then Filton could clam that they own both the last Concorde and VC10 to fly. For making the money required to get the aircraft moved to the chosen museum a model company like Gemini Jets to make a model and a percentage of the profit to go to the museum to cover the move like they have done before with both Brooklands and Manchester.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: What next for ZA147?

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Some interesting suggestions there, thanks! I agree that two Supers at Duxford would be great.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.