lets keep a close eye on the survivors

Any VC10 related discussions.....
vc10boy

lets keep a close eye on the survivors

Post by vc10boy »

Just had thought about the last BOAC VC10 survivor still flying,i beleive it is ZD241 ex GASGM, the last time i saw her and photographed her was at Abingdon Air show in 1985 , 27 years ago, in open storage still in her faded British Airways colours,Is she permenently based on the Falklands these days?..i THINK SHE,S AROUND 44 YEARS OLD BY NOW..which led me to think can [a clever] somebody maybe write a list of all the vc10,s still flying with there first flight details,who ordered them,how manny hours flown {if known} and where in the world she serves at the moment and some kind of way we might be tipped off when one of the 9 survivors might be landing or taking off at brize norton or elsewhere in the uk ect..that info would be so nice to have on the opening page of this site,just so everyone knows instantly who the last of the manny are in an instant..maybe with an early pitcture and an upto date picture,how old they are this year...i think it would concentrate our minds on the survivors,as they havent got too much time left..just a thought..then there movements ect can be monitored by this site.also another question,i read somewhere that just after BA Retired the supers the RAF used them after retirement to move troops or personel to an excercise somewhere?,is this true?..
Last edited by vc10boy on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vc10boy,s photo,s of VC10,s over the years...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116993858@N08/sets/
petet16

Re: lets keep a close eye on the survivors

Post by petet16 »

I'm not aware that the RAF ever used the Supers between BA retiring them and their conversion to K4s

I remember lots of Standard 10s parked all over the place at Brize in about 1981, there may well have been some Supers as well.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Same here: if the RAF used them before their conversion, I've never heard or read of it. You may be thinking of other VC10s (BUA) which were leased by the RAF to shuffle troops around.

VC10boy, I'm in the process of building pages for individual aircraft such as this one: G-ASIW. It is a long process and next to that I'm converting pages for the new image viewer on the site (see here). So I'm working on it! As for tracking the movements of the individual aircraft there are two problems: 1. I don't think I will have the time to provide updates that quickly. 2. I don't think the RAF will provide that information. I'll keep track of the VC10s which are in service on the front page and the RAF VC10s page. That's all I can do for now, more knowledgeable persons might be able to provide a heads up through these forums if you're after seeing VC10s in the flesh.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

and a fine job your doing too..maybe just a list of the survivors would be more realistic?..by the way ive converted my shed to raf vc10 interior,i must send you some pitures..ive also aquired a vc10 front door..send your email and i will send a few pics

Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Realistic indeed, but depressing too as the list grows ever shorter! :wink:
I'll have a think about that one.

I'd love to see some pictures, can you send them to the address which is on the site? Any page, left side below the menu, just remove the bit from the address that says 'remove this...' before hitting send.
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

vc10boy wrote:and where in the world she serves at the moment
As far as I know XR808, XV104, XV106, ZA147, ZA149 and ZD241 should be in the UK. ZA148 is currently based at RAF Mount Pleasant, while XV108 and ZA150 operate in warmer climates.
forester

Post by forester »

vc10boy wrote:i read somewhere that just after BA Retired the supers the RAF used them after retirement to move troops or personel to an excercise somewhere?,is this true?..
At least one was used in an exercise before retirement from BA.
Once the VC10s had been delivered to the RAF the remaining BA crews went on conversion courses or were quickly out of recency and temporarily grounded. Some were redeployed to ground jobs for a while. Some even worked as cabin crew until recall. But they didn't fly the VC10s again.
DangerMouse

Post by DangerMouse »

Chris K wrote:
vc10boy wrote:and where in the world she serves at the moment
As far as I know XR808, XV104, XV106, ZA147, ZA149 and ZD241 should be in the UK. ZA148 is currently based at RAF Mount Pleasant, while XV108 and ZA150 operate in warmer climates.
ZD241 is on route to the Falklands.. ZA148 should be in the UK tonight providing both are technically sound.

XV108 will be back in the UK today, XV106 should be on route to the desert, again providing both technically sound....
vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

thank you so much..instantly i know where they all are now, and which ones survive ..wot a great site this is.

Chris K

Post by Chris K »

DangerMouse wrote: ZD241 is on route to the Falklands.. ZA148 should be in the UK tonight providing both are technically sound.

XV108 will be back in the UK today, XV106 should be on route to the desert, again providing both technically sound....
As far as I can see, XV108 returned to the UK today and has been replaced overseas by XR808. XV106 is still happily flying in the UK. ZA148 has not returned from the Falklands, yet.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

This is just a quick try: Click for Aardvark Map (zoom in to see all the markers, click on them for more info). Any use?
mike j

Post by mike j »

Hi Jelle

Nice link you have there...

Rgds

Mike
vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

this is developing into something really good..that was just the sort of thing i had in mind..would be great for thoes who know to update it when they can..

DangerMouse

Post by DangerMouse »

Chris K wrote:
DangerMouse wrote: ZD241 is on route to the Falklands.. ZA148 should be in the UK tonight providing both are technically sound.

As far as I can see, XV108 returned to the UK today and has been replaced overseas by XR808. XV106 is still happily flying in the UK. ZA148 has not returned from the Falklands, yet.
You are absolutely correct. XV106 was replaced due to a particular problem. (I did mention providing technically sound :D!)
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

ZA148 returned to the UK a few days ago. Click here for an updated map.