My Website - Please join :):)

Any VC10 related discussions.....
ACLVC10

My Website - Please join :):)

Post by ACLVC10 »

Hi everyone

please can you take time to have a little look at my new website, please bear in mind that its still in very much the early stages but i am open to comments, many thanks

http://www.vickersvc10.co.uk
or
http://www.vickersvc10.webs.com/

Many thanks
Last edited by ACLVC10 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACLVC10
ACLVC10

Re: My Website

Post by ACLVC10 »

Also there is a members area to, please join :)
ACLVC10
Jazz707

Post by Jazz707 »

Nice looking site Andrew, a very good start.

I have a similar style site myself, for my aircraft photography, which is taking a while to get started on. I know these can take some time to 'populate' and really get going.

One comment then... maybe try and keep a reasonable quality to the photos published.

Good luck with it from me anyway... you are not getting much response to your posts here.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Hi Jazz

Many thanks for your comments and feedback.

The photos I'm hoping to keep to a high quality but I just adding a few just to get the photo bit started

Many thanks once again
ACLVC10
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

Hi Andrew, there is one major issue with you website: the copyright! The text on the start page is copied from Wikipedia without any proper attribution. The same goes for the photos on the start page. I doubt they are your own.

It is illegal to just copy stuff from the internet and publish it on your website. You have to ask for the author's/photographer's permission and/or attribute the material properly. Otherwise this could get you into trouble.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Oh dear I thought it looked good, so what do you suggest I should do?

Remove it??
ACLVC10
Chris K

Post by Chris K »

For the Wikipedia article, you should put something like this below the text on your website:

"The above text is taken from the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_VC10, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License."

Regarding the photos, which are not your own, you should write an e-mail to the photographer and ask, if you may use his picture on your website. Usually websites like Airliners.net, Flickr, or wherever the pictures are from, have a button such as "Contact photographer". Until you have done that, I would advice you to either remove the pictures or at least put a copyright notice next to them like "Copyright John Doe" (or whatever the photographer's name is).

I know this copyright stuff can be quite complicated, so don't worry, many people make mistakes like that.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Ok thanks for your help and your advice Chris

Many thanks
ACLVC10
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

Looks nice although I think that there is a bit too much text for an initial welcome page. I had a look on the forum but could not get back to the 'home' page from there. Good start though.
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Many thanks for your advice Larrie, the front page is an issue and I will be addressing this in the next couple of days.

Cheers
ACLVC10
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

Keep at it though. The old girl needs as much support as possible. If we can get a frame at bruntiers for running purposes alone I will be prepared to come over to look after her.
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

I definitely will keep at Larrie, oh and if you do manage to get one at brunty I sure would love to come up and see her :)
ACLVC10
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

I think that the advice given by Chris is well worth taking. I would also suggest that trying to do the whole history of the VC10 is probably not the best way to go as there is already a really good site out there! Perhaps going for a particular area may be better than just cutting and pasting from wikipedia.

I too am working (very slowly) on a site that I am concentrating on my VC10 collection (http://vc10.cbfsim.co.uk/VC10_Collection/Welcome.html) Sadly work and other real life stuff gets in the way of updates... but one day LOL...

Anyway, best of luck with it...

And Laurieg, if you can keep it running I'll be more than happy to drive it around :mrgreen:

Tonks --+0+--
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
ACLVC10

www.vickersvc10.co.uk Help with my Website

Post by ACLVC10 »

Hi everyone

I am looking for some helpers, would a couple of you like to be administrators on my website?

If your interested please so your interest on the post.

Many thanks
ACLVC10
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

Tonks, you on. It would be a dream come true to look after the old girl, (even from here, I would be happy to spend time in the UK).