VC10 preservation (ex-Keep one VC10 flying) thread

Any VC10 related discussions.....
petet16

Re: VC10 preservation (ex-Keep one VC10 flying) thread

Post by petet16 »

Stewart wrote:
Thumper wrote:Now the VC10 has a good safety record and is multi engine but it's still a complex aircraft and is old. This makes it too much of a risk for anyone to entertain the idea of one flying, the chance of it making a big crater in the ground may be low but it's still too high to risk.

I would never "write off" ex BOAC staff so presume you are referring to someone else.
I didn't say you did, but somone else did.

Anyway, What is interestesting is that there are a fair number of Ex RAF Dominies still flying as HS125s, this is classed as a 'large aircraft' by the CAA (interesting as it's the same classification as a 747...) and probably 'Complex' as it's just as 'complex' as a VC-10, certainly it is presursised, has multiple gas turbine engines, powered controls etc, although it is smaller. All they had to do was.. convert them to a known civil type. Although in the HS125 case the DA was still interested
I'm not sure how seriously to take that statement Stewart.
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

I also belong to the VPG helping keep the Vulcan bomber flying. If THAT can fly Im sure a VC10 can be kept airworthy on limited hours fly pasts. But its all down to keeping those Conways running as the Vulcan is coming to the end due to the Olympus engines reaching terminal life ex. Rolls Royce cannot refurb them anymore due to age and discontinued parts etc.

I know first hand that the VC10 was imaculately maintained and one is now sitting at Dunsfold that flew in last year so it is fully airworthy so that would be an ideal candidate. But it would be nice to rip all that rubbish tanker gear off and return it to the original RAF air support command colours of white over grey with the blue cheek lines!

The awful 'desert pink' colour is just nasty! [-X

Just to add - if SOMEONE had any sense they could have parted out all the scrapped aircraft probably for MILLIONS to enthusiasts as memorabilia? Surely that would have helped the government and defense fund! I see a few enterprising people have 'obtained' various bits on ebay when our lovely ladies were retired - well done I cant stand to even look at the pics of aircraft I maintained for years cut into pieces in some Farmer Giles field :-({{|=
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

Hi Murray, I help maintain ZD241 at Bruntingthorpe and just wanted to add a few things to your post.

None of the VC10s that are left can be classed as airworthy. The remaining Live airframes ZD241, ZA150, ZA148 and ZA147 have all been on the ground outside for the last 18 months and while they are being maintained and looked after, it’s not to the same extent that is needed to say there are airworthy. All the airframes would require a minimum of primary/minor/major servicing before you could even think about classing them as ‘technically’ airworthy.

With regards to ripping the tanker gear off and painting then in transport colours, None of the remaining airframes, Bar XR808 which is being road moved to Cosford, were ever painted in transport colours and have always been tankers.

I personally believe that a VC10 will never fly again. While the CAA would not say no to the idea, there is so many reasons that will prevent it. You would need to get BAe on side as the design authority and that is unlikely to ever happen after the Haddon-Cave inquiry. Money is a massive factor, the Vulcan struggles year in year out to make ends meet and the Vulcan has a massive pull at airshows. A VC10 would never have the same appeal as bar a few low passes, what else could it offer at an airshow?. Spares and equipment would be an issue as many of the OEM’s are no longer active and/or the tools have been disposed of. There are no zero life Conway's left and the company that used to overall them no longer have the tools or facilities to do so. There may also be contractual obligations that prevent anyone from returning them to the sky.

Lastly, regarding your comment about them being cut up in a farmer field, the company that was contacted by the MOD the dispose are called GJD services. The owner is an Ex Vc10 engineer from base hanger and I can assure that the airframes, even though they had to be disposed of, were treated with the upmost respect and not simply ripped apart. GJD also have kept one of the airframes (ZD241) and keep it in a live fast taxing condition. To say they were just cut up in a farmers field is slightly misinformed.

While I don't like to seem so down, I'm only being realistic about the prospects of seeing a VC10 fly again.

Ollie
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

Hi Ollie

so the owner is an ex Base engineer? The chances are I might know him! Ive seen images on Google earth of parts around the country that look like VC10 so maybe these were disposed of by a different company? I understand that all of us true devotees will see that our ladies immaculate are treated with respect and that they must eventually all become bean cans.

I am a Brooklands trustee and I tried to suggest a plan, to possibly restore the full oval track there as most of it has gone. Sadly I have to surrender to the fact that we cant all change the inevitable :( They have served us admirably bringing back troops from the Falklands and casevacing many other theatres, so its good to know they will be looked after. My days off shift are very boring so going up to Brunty every 4 days to help with anything would be a bonus if it is needed?

Sadly XH558 the last Vulcan is in her final ever year flying as the engines are nearing terminal life ex - so shes headed for a museum sadly. Years ago a team of us at Brize tried to buy one when they were retired - shame we couldnt have bought a 10!

Thank you for your reply and clarification :)
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

All good things must come to an end sadly, I would love to see one fly again but the chances are slim to none.

We have a few live frames left which are being looked after by different groups so at least an effort is being made to preserve them for years to come.
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

thats good to know!

I just came across pics of stripped out airframes at St athan and its gutwrenching. Most of us know these ladies intimately having had our hands inside her on majors in the warm hangar - to sitting inside the saddle panel on the tail bullet, outside in mid winter snow fixing a tail trim screw jack. We used to have a tradition at Base hangar of signing our names inside the leading edge of the tail plane on a major in paint. I wonder if any survived? I recall seeing dozens of names in there dating back years before my stint on them. Wouldnt have changed a second :wink:
bobisqueen

Post by bobisqueen »

Best years of my career on '10s. Did nearly 8 years from 2002 between the Line and Heavy Rects. Modern jets just don't cut the mustard!
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

Very true!
1976 - 1983 for me never managed to get back on them after I got married :-({{|=

EDIT. Tell me Bob have any of the ORIGINAL RAF aircraft been saved (XV, XR serials)? I know the tankers arrived from BA as old supers we had a few at Brize the rest went to Abingdon. We had a look around one it STANK of stale coffee, fags, (smoking allowed in those days) sick, sweat and stale flight crew :?
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Hi Murray,

XR808 has been saved and is being dismantled as we speak ready for the move to Cosford from Brunty...

Andy
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

YAAAAAY I was based at RAF Shawbury for a few years and used to help with anti det on the museum aircraft, they used to have a super there but it vanished. I also worked on restoring the SR53

Im pleased they have kept a C1 - one of our original old girls! I was on the team that sadly dismantled 809 her sister at Kemble.

Why didnt they just FLY her in as they did at Brooklands with G-ASIX IN 1987, I remember the superb flying getting her in there =D> watching her do a circuit for a look see then she was on short finals!
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Oh blimey.... don't start that debate again LOL :mrgreen:

Andy
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

well IVE DONE IT in flight sim flat foor - with the galleys stripped out, no water tank, empty bogs etc :lol:

(reverses thrust very quickly!) [-X