Any idea what the story behind this is....

Any VC10 related discussions.....
tubster1275

Any idea what the story behind this is....

Post by tubster1275 »

Hi Folks,

I picked up the trophy below at the weekend for buttons out curiosity more than anything else, it's claimed source was the mess at RAF Lyneham. Assuming it's not just someone's peculiar idea of interior design it would be interesting to know the story behind it if anybody out there recognises it.

Cheers,

Mike
Tonkenna

Re: Any idea what the story behind this is....

Post by Tonkenna »

Certainly interesting, and I would have bought that had I seen it... No idea what it is though. Only been to Lyneham a few times but never seen it before. The Lyneham/VC10 connection was a long time ago!!

Tonks
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

I'll show the pic to my dad and see if there is any link to his 2 postings on the VC10, mid 60's to mid 70's.
tubster1275

Post by tubster1275 »

Thanks chaps, it's always great to know the story behind these things when you acquire them especially the more unusual ones. Our resident former VC10 mender at work was discussing the ingenuity behind the creation of the cock of the week award yesterday.

This has to be my favourite acquisitions if just for the amount of effort it must have taken to do. Another one I don't have the back story to but the chap I got it from had hit hard times and had to sell it despite it being dear to him so I have made an arrangement for him to buy it back if ever I have to part with it.

Cheers,

Mike
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Is that a compressor blade? That's impressive! As you say, that must have taken some effort and it looks great!

It would be nice to hear more about the story behind these items, I'm hoping that someone will be able to shed some light on this.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

They are still turning these comp blades out for the guys leaving, (there is a glut of blades around at the mo). I watched one of the guys doing one the other day and there is a lot of work, Fantastic keepsake.
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)