Tristars & VC-10s being replaced?

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Concordski

Tristars & VC-10s being replaced?

Post by Concordski »

Is it true that the RAFs fleet of VC-10s and Tristars is going to be retired and replaced by Airbus A330s?
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

If and when the contract ever gets signed. Air Tanker has again been named as the "preffered bidder" but the final contract will not be signed until next year. The 10 will be inservice until 2013 if the current plan goes ahead!!

Have a look here for details of Air Tanker:

http://www.airtanker.co.uk/airtanker/index.jsp

Tonks 8)
GARY

MRTT

Post by GARY »

According to sources the MRTT is due to replace certainly the VC10, although the Tristar may remain longer, the airbus will be leased to the RAF !!, and will be crewed bt RAF cews altough any aircraft that are not being used will be made available to the civil market what a carry on !! no doubt as with the ill concieved introduction of the tristar, the debacle with nimrod it will be over budget, and out of date before it eb=ven starts !, when off the shelf decent military transports are available, what a way to run an airline !!
Topcat1

Re: Tristars & VC-10s being replaced?

Post by Topcat1 »

The concept behind the Airbus MRTT proposals made in the late 90s was to replace the VC10 and Tristar fleet with brand new Airbus MRTT aircraft on lease, at an annual cost equal to the existing fleet annual cost, with no capital outlay.
This concept was later taken up by the MOD, in its request for tenders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It seemed like a good idea at the time, as Airbus were looking for a lead customer with a large order. :D
Laurieg

Re: Tristars & VC-10s being replaced?

Post by Laurieg »

Regardless of what this, or any other government says, the amount of work we have got on the old girl will keep her in the air for at least the 5 years we have been told about. Plenty of miles in the wings but I am not too sure about the crews :lol:
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)