Let's get a VC10 to Cosford

Any VC10 related discussions.....
AJW

Let's get a VC10 to Cosford

Post by AJW »

So now XR808 has made her final landing at Bruntingthorpe, and is anticipated to be kept as the 'live' aircraft there, I think an effort now needs to go towards trying to secure one of the final three K3's for Cosford.

As far as I am aware, the K3's have better (at least on paper) landing capability, allowing it to land on a shorter runway than a C1K.

As the short runway at Cosford seemed to be the issue with getting Bob in there, hopefully this will be beneficial to an effort to get a K3 there.

Now, here's the bit we need to do.......get writing letters! Send a letter to your local MP asking what the government/RAF is doing to preserve the last wholly British built 4 engined jet airliner.

I am going to be writing to my MP and suggest everyone else does the same!

--+0+-- :D --+0+--
Anglojet

Re: Let's get a VC10 to Cosford

Post by Anglojet »

Have just tweeted James May. You never know!
Rob68

Post by Rob68 »

emailed cosford to ask whats going on, will wait and see
Rover75

Post by Rover75 »

Don't think it will happen. I spoke to someone last weekend with close connections to RAF Cosford. It does seem that the 'Health & Safety' issues have won the day.

Although a VC10 could land at Cosford the margins of safety are too narrow for the MAA. Now if the RAF were flying a VC10 and it had to put down (and therefore up) at Cosford due to operational reasons and or an emergency then it WOULD be allowed.

Goodness knows what Alcock & Brown must be thinking......

Cheers

Mike
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It doesn't rule out running one in by road from Brunty though which was an original option discussed for XR808. I guess we'll find out eventually!
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

It'd be great to see a VC10 at Cosford again, as long as they put it under cover (so as to avoid the long decline suffered by G-ARVM). If it is to be a road transfer, my money would be on Bob, given the shorter Standard fuselage. It is noted elsewhere on this website that the transport of the fuselage of 'VM was just within limits for the road trip.

I also think it's a pity that no American air museums appear to have expressed an interest in acquiring one, given the role the VC10 played during the Gulf War.

Bill
AJW

Post by AJW »

I've heard several conflicting stories, but one is that a '10 could go to cosford by road (in a letter from an MP). I guess time will tell.