Origin of name 'Bob'

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Gwyn

Origin of name 'Bob'

Post by Gwyn »

I am curious why an aircraft has ended up with a male 'nickname'. I always referred to an aircraft in the female form. No dis-respect to the ladies but in some situations the aircraft needs to be handled gently to get the best results which is similar to, dare I say, the opposite gender.

ACLVC10

Re: Origin of name 'Bob'

Post by ACLVC10 »

Hi Gwyn

The origin of Bob is from its serial number, XR808, 808 looking like BOB :)

Andy

--+0+--
ACLVC10

ICM

Post by ICM »

As this saga has evolved in these last weeks, I've become curious as to when 808 became Bob. There was nothing of the sort current back in the mid/late 1970s, when I can only recall the three digits being used to refer to any of our aircraft ... and they were only 10 Sqn ones then, of course.
Ian Macmillan

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Bob confuses me, I want to call Bob a he (naturally) but I refer to most, if not all aircraft as she so Bob is a confusion, perhaps she is a bit of a tomboy!

As mentioned, go back to calculator and school days, I think most of us entered 80085 and had a giggle, hence 808 looks like BOB.

Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

My lady friend, Elaine, who is in love with Bob since she saw him flying, referred to him as a little darling and the K3s as Bob's girls; she saw Bob as being in charge of a harem of K3 girls I think, trying to keep them in order. lol

She also felt that Bob was quite defiant in his attitude to being retired and the delays that occured.

It seems that ladies get as attached to VC10s as men do.

Dave
Last edited by Manofmendip on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Manofmendip wrote:My lady friend, Elaine, who is in love with Bob, since she saw him flying, referred to as a little darling and the K3s as Bob's girls; she saw Bob as being in charge of a harem of K3 girls I think, trying to keep them in order. lol

She also felt that Bob was quite defiant in his attitude to being retired and the delays that occured.

It seems that ladies get as attached to VC10s and men do.

Dave
Love it Dave, think I may adopt that theory to :)

Andy

--+0+--
ACLVC10

Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Yes, it is good Andy. Elaine thinks Bob is defiant, as when I took her to see him flying he took off 30 mins early, so we saw him from 3 miles away. Then he returned 3 hours early but we were wise to his tricks and had taken up our position at the 08 end of the runway, with sandwiches et al. LOL

Dave

Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

I think there is no coincidence thst in Black Adder there was a beautiful young lady that masker-added as a chap, and she was known as Bob... as I remember she wanted to see how a war was fought - so badly! LOL

I have certainly known 808 as Bob for many many years...

Tonks :D
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/

Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Hi Tonks

Yes I remember that too, now you mention it.

You know Elaine, of course, and her fondness for Bob.

Would you say he is a defiant character? lol

Dave

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I liken Bob to Bravo November, the famous Chinook that refuses to be "put down". BN was the original ID (ZA718), Bravo (for short) is also an original Chinook and still going today. Bravo also has his own tribute Chinook cab in the Hendon museum painted up as him, Air Chief Marshal Sir Richard Johns was quoted as saying "The RAF almost never singles out individual aircraft for tribute. But Bravo November is exceptional". Bravo November is like The Terminator, when you read through that aircraft's career it's like watching Rambo, it's very "male".

Certain aircraft become very "human" to people be it through incredible battles or something else unique and many people like to give machinery a name. OK I am a woman but my car is called Bella and my motorbike was named Bob. I know a lot of men that name their cars and motorbikes as it's usually because they are considered special to them, funnily enough that almost certainly comes after an incident where one has felt it appropriate to give the machine a well done pat for being obedient and not crashing :wink:

Bob is an original, he's seen it all, he's a tough beggar that never says die, he's the short muscly version with the big macho tattoo on his tail. All other VC-10's are slender, beautiful creatures and for me, they are all called Vicky :D

Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Hi Thumper

I think you have hit the nail on the head, you would get on well with my friend Elaine.

Bob is the macho stocky chap, with the tats, and 'the girls', the 3 Vickys, are long and slender. I must say that I always liked the proportions of the Super VC10s better than the Satandards. If you read the history of the VC10 you will see that there were proposals for even longer models and a double decker too, called the VC10 Superb; I would have loved to have seen all of them if they had been built.

Dave

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I agree Dave, the Super's are absolutely stunning, it's amazing what a few more feet of fusilage can do to turn an aircraft from stocky to slender. I certainly would have loved to see the Superb and the longer models too!

Elaine sounds like a lady who operates on the same level as me, I find it impossible to talk to any other women about aircraft except my mates partner at Brunty yesterday, I get very strange looks when I get all steamy eyed talking about VC-10's, I'm constantly looking out for men in white coats! :-)////)

Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Elaine has only been into VC10s since March this year, when she came with me to meet Gary. She goes all a quiver when she sees one now.

I was lucky to have met Ernie Marshall, the Senior Project Engineer on the VC10, when I worked at Weybridge in 1970. He said to me that if anyone wanted to fly the VC10 in 50 years time the frame would be good for it, he wasn't wrong.

Have you read my post, earlier today, on the K3s & K4 thread?

Dave

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Yes I have read that post with great interest and actually spent most of the morning having a good hard think about it all! Perhaps the forum is not the best place to talk VC-10 politics so I may send you a PM with regards to it. Ernie certainly was right when he said that eh! A great achievement =D>

Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

All I can remember about BOB was all the autopilot problems I had during GW1 :evil:

We must have spent weeks during the many slips in AKT trying to sort out his snags!!!! What I didn't learn about AP after that was not worth learning!

Certainly kept at least 2 of us busy over that period. Nonetheless, he kept flying :)
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)