VC10 Last flights

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Lee606

Re: VC10 Last flights

Post by Lee606 »

Thank you Gary & everyone at Bruntingthorpe for allowing us in and getting a great view today. =D> =D> =D>

Vickers VC10 - ZA147 Final Flight & Landing at Bruntingthorpe on 25/9/13.
Two missed approaches and the final landing.All video & pictures by me.,Its a bit shaky in places but ah well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVa6jQcassE
Last edited by Lee606 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flour Power

Post by Flour Power »

Magnum wrote:I am now going to pour a large whisky and raise it in honour of the Vickers VC10 and its illustrious career.
What a good idea! :-)////)

Gutted I couldn't be there today but at least I can be there in spirits. :wink:

jonf45

Post by jonf45 »

Just back, many thanks to all who made it possible. Great atmosphere and a hugely enjoyable day, despite the sadness of what the day entailled. Looking forwatd to doing my photos tomorrow ;)

Anglojet

Post by Anglojet »

That's it then. All over. Thanks everyone for their help and info over the final few months.

Flour Power

Post by Flour Power »

I'm sitting here, my Squadron Prints VC10 mug containing a large measure of 1967 vintage Glengoyne.

Cheers and thanks for the memories. --+0+--

Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

A great, and yet sad day. The old girl had a good send off! It was nice to meet the flight crew, who kindly signed autographs, and to get a copy of the 101 Squadron brochure, before having a look around '147 and wandering over to Bob.

Thanks Gary, I'm sure everyone here will agree you are a scholar and a gentleman!

Bill.

giles

Post by giles »

Huge thanks to Gaz for your heads up about today & to DW for letting us all attend & for dropping the barrier so that we could get a closer look at the keys being handed over.
Some of us even got to look inside the old girl at the end of the day. =D>

jetsetpete

Post by jetsetpete »

Here, here. In echoing all that's been said here - not long got back after a fabulous day at Bruntingthorpe. Great to be there to witness the last flight of the wonderful VC10. Great crowd and really good to meet and speak with various people there. A huge thanks to Gary and DW for accommodating us all on this very special and very sad occasion. Hats off to all... : )

Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

It was a huge privilege to be able to witness the end of 51 years of faithful service of the VC10. Thank you Gary, everyone from BAE, Brooklands and all the other enthusiasts! I had to leave Bruntinghorpe before the crew got out but somehow managed to get from there to the gate at Luton in less than two hours so I'm claiming a VC10 related record of my own! ;)

I would welcome any photos of the events after I left, feel free to send anything over but get in touch first if the emails get very large as my mailbox may not be able to cope.

With the flying life of the aircraft over, now comes the important task of making sure that the memories live on. That's one of the main purposes of my site and I would urge anyone who has been moved by the VC10 to put fingers to the keyboard or pen to paper and consider sharing this.

I'm back at work now but will attempt to sort through the hundreds of photo's I took tonight and upload some of them to the site.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.

vc10boy

thoughts for the future of the vc10

Post by vc10boy »

god yes it was great to watch 5H-MMT ,TWO VERY LOW PASS,S DOWN THE RUNWAY THEN FULL THROTTLE UP AND AWAY...every rivet made in england [save for the frech tail fin] 4 hawling conways,a sight to behold and stir any english mans blood...what a great day, a day that will live long in the memory...

Ernie Marshal and George Edwards and the men who created this finest of aircraft would have loved it..

you can keep your concorde and vulcan,the vc10 has put more work in for this country than anyother..

the true Queen Of The Skies

Now lets get a simple design vc10 shaped hanger designed thats cheap as chips to produce and manufacture..to get these pristine ex RAF TENS THAT DONT GET THE CHOP UNDER COVER AND CORROSION FREE before endless winters kill them off....i was talking to manofmedip about exactlly that,he,s got some idears on the subject...would love to see some drawings on this site...get them under cover first..all of them that are saved thats the first step,lets concentrate on that first,keep the systems alive and take it from there...
vc10boy,s photo,s of VC10,s over the years...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116993858@N08/sets/

Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Yes VC10boy, it was indeed a sight to stir any Englishman and any British person from these isles there to witness it.

I'm glad that we met and talked about Ernie Marshall as he and George Edwards conceived our beloved VC10 and the men and women at Weybridge carried out the detailed design and manufacture of her. If George had still been alive he would have been there on Wednesday wearing his 'pork pie' hat that he was so identified with. I was privileged to have met Ernie Marshall during my time at Weybridge in the Main DO Drawing Library. He knew the VC10 was good for 50 years of flight and more.

As a Chartered Building Surveyor and joint coordinator of the VC10der Loving Carers, I have made an offer to design a VC10 hanger for Bruntingthorpe and I will let Gary have some sketch designs as soon as I can fit these into my workload, between clients' work.

Best regards to all.

Dave

Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Manofmendip wrote:If George had still been alive he would have been there on Wednesday ....
His daughter, Mrs. Angela Newton, was at Dunsfold on Tuesday to watch the last landing of ZA150! I don't know if she was at Bruntingthorpe as well, I think not.

Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Jelle

I guess that Angela was not wearing her dad's distinctive hat though. lol :)

Dave

Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

That hat is on display in Concorde G-BBDG at Brooklands, she didn't have enough time to get it I guess! ;)

Rover75

Post by Rover75 »

I would like to express my thanks to everyone concerned with GJD for allowing us to witness a moment in British aviation history. It was a privilege to meet and chat with the RAF aircrew and also fellow members of this forum, nice to be able to put faces to names.

I hope the sound of 4 Rolls Royce Conways (with their distinctive Vickers whine) will still be heard in the future, like the Merlin, they make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up (part of being British I suppose).

Again many thanks to everyone concerned with Wednesday 25th September 2013, last flight of the Super VC10.

Mike