Mike

petet16

Re: VC10 Last flights

Post by petet16 »

Very nice =D>

jonf45

Post by jonf45 »

Nice ;) Did you get one of the books too? I thought the crew were very good to hang around and sign all that stuff!

jon

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Would love to get my hands on one of those if anyone has a spare, willing to pay, please PM me if you have :)

Andy
ACLVC10

vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

i dont know about any body else but im still buzzing from watching the last flight...its been emotional...i so hope 2 are saved at brunty..especially 5H-MMT,SHE HAS A SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART NOW,PLEASE DON,T SCRAP HER GARY
vc10boy,s photo,s of VC10,s over the years...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116993858@N08/sets/

Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

I'm with VC10boy on this, and as '147 was the last airframe to undergo a major service, I'd guess she's in the best nick. IIRC, '241 is an ex BOAC/BA Super, and they worked their aircraft very hard. I think G-ASGC at Duxford, retired after only 15 years, had many more flying hours on the clock than Bob, after 47 years.

Suffice to say, if my numbers come up tonight, I know what to put at the top of my shopping list :D

There was quite a scramble for those brochures, perhaps a nice letter/email to Group Captain Lushington (seemed a nice chap) at Brize might result in a copy by return, Andy!

Bill.

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Hi Bill

That sounds a great idea but I'm unsure how to get hold of Group Captain Lushington, anyone have any ideas?? :)

Andy
ACLVC10

Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

ACLVC10 wrote:Would love to get my hands on one of those if anyone has a spare, willing to pay, please PM me if you have :)
Andy
Ill second that,PM please.I had to leave to pick my daughter up just after they allowed access on the go kart track and that was as close as i got :(

Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

Hi Andy,

I'd try the Brize Norton media and communications office (BZN-DMCO@mod.uk) in the first instance.

As the Queen's replacement is a nondescript package-holiday Airbus that can be flown one handed, they might be able to rustle up some autographs [-o<

Bill

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Bill1980 wrote:As the Queen's replacement is a nondescript package-holiday Airbus that can be flown one handed, they might be able to rustle up some autographs [-o<

Bill
:lol: :lol: :lol: Quite possibly the best description of a Voyager I have heard!

Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

Although the Voyagers are completely boring and stupidly over priced, I don't think I would like to knock their engineering. At least its a partly British made large airliner that is enjoying very good commercial sales and beating Boeing at its own game. For that reason I for one am an Airbus fan, even though they (and all other modern airliners) look the same and sound like a hairdryer. To be fair, that's what they are designed to do, we just all long for the golden age with noisy turbo jets and designs done with slide-rules rather than computers!

Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

I suppose the A330 is a good design by modern standards, although I'd still feel safer with an experienced pilot making all the decisions rather than an overdesigned fly-by-telly computer system :mrgreen:

Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

Bill1980 wrote:I suppose the A330 is a good design by modern standards, although I'd still feel safer with an experienced pilot making all the decisions rather than an overdesigned fly-by-telly computer system :mrgreen:
So would I, but I wonder where the experienced pilots of the future will come from with the military now so much smaller that the past. Some of the current VC10 Raf pilots will probably find their way into civilian flying, but the next generation of pilots will only known Cessna's and fly by wire airliners.

Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

The Voyager is a very good ac! It does not have the grace of a VC10 and modern airliners do all look alike (and for good reasons) but that does not make them a bad thing. Even the RAF (which does get its monies worth from its ac) has to replace and renew and we really needed a modern and reliable ac.

The statements above do show the lack of understanding of what a modern fly-by-wire type ac is like to operate. They are built to save money and be safe to fly in and that is what they do very well. Technology has to move on if we are to progress... the skills of a modern pilot are different, but they still have to take the decisions and are responsible for them. Sadly, we all want to travel for less and less money... and whilst every one on this forum would probably be willing to pay extra to fly in these old classics for hundreds of pounds, most folks want to fly to Malaga for £20 or less. That will not happen unless we move on.

The VC10 has been a wonderful ac; it has been part of my life for many years and she has taken me on many adventures around the world, but we have moved into a new era with a new ac. That new ac is a huge challenge to operate and is extremely satisfying to fly. The 10 will always have a special place in my heart but lets not have a go at the new because she is not a VC10.

We need to let the old girl retire with grace and look after the ones that get preserved... as I have said elsewhere, we cannot keep them all, as they will all suffer, but the ones that remain deserve a good retirement.

Tonks
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/

ICM

Post by ICM »

Following on from Tonks, one can surely appreciate the VC 10's looks and capabilities in RAF service without denigrating what is to follow. For good or ill, and once the Tristar has gone, the Voyager and its method of procurement (with the A400M), will provide the Service's AAR/AT capability for the next 20-30 years. I doubt that I'll be around to see, but I wouldn't be too surprised if similar feelings to those expressed in these last weeks are not on display as the next generation of aircraft are phased out.
Ian Macmillan