Vc-10 at bruntingthorpe - what will happen to it?

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Craig

Re: Vc-10 at bruntingthorpe - what will happen to it?

Post by Craig »

So it makes more sense to keep '147 as its had a wash?! :?

None of the tens still at Brunty have been there all that long. It was always the intention to remove engines so that the best ones could be installed on the airframe. Given that condition wise there's seemingly little in it, it seems very strange to preserve three quarters of the K3 fleet at the expense of other marks. Were the others wrecked I'd understand, but as I said a wash does not "better condition" make!
vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

hi,lee, i was at brunty for the last landing,my other half got a bit fed up so we went soon after the landing..i really want to return to brunty incase 147 is scrapped [god forbid]..get close for pitures ect.

is it easy to get thru the gates at brunty,wonder around 147 and any other tens?
vc10boy,s photo,s of VC10,s over the years...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116993858@N08/sets/
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

vc10boy wrote:hi,lee, i was at brunty for the last landing,my other half got a bit fed up so we went soon after the landing..i really want to return to brunty incase 147 is scrapped [god forbid]..get close for pitures ect.

is it easy to get thru the gates at brunty,wonder around 147 and any other tens?
Unfortunately it isn't easy.

Only open to the public on Sundays I believe. You would need to speak to someone up there to see if you would be allowed anywhere near the VC10's.
vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

thanks for the reply lee, so if i go a sunday i,ll get past the gate and im pretty free to walk around and photopgraph thhe various vc10,s around the airfeild?

Jazz707

Post by Jazz707 »

Its a bit of a gamble going to Brunty and hoping to get down near the VC-10's and scrap yard. Previously you could usualy get down there, but officially the answer is no, unless you are lucky or manage to arrange something. I was there Sunday, and was lucky to get down in the great weather, but was then talking with one guy who couldn't, after being told no. I'm told, one reason is that GJD/BAe are not happy with people putting shots online of the aircraft inside the scrap yard.

As those who were present on Wednesday might have seen, there are now/still 6 VC-10's present: XR808, ZA147/F, ZA149/H & ZD241/N, with XV106/W & XV108/Y both chopped up in the scrap yard (108 forward fuselage from the wing removed, presumably going to EMA as such, as previously mentioned). Make of this what you will, but was told BOB will be the ground runner (first show next May, but would of course have test runs before then), but who knows what will remain of the others by then!

Great to catch the Victor test running on Sunday, looking great. As someone said... "and thats been outside for 20 years now!" :lol:
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Jazz707 wrote: Great to catch the Victor test running on Sunday, looking great. As someone said... "and thats been outside for 20 years now!" :lol:
And that's the one that accidentaly on purpose took-off!!! :wink:
vololiberista
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

vololiberista wrote: And that's the one that accidentaly on purpose took-off!!! :wink:
vololiberista
Not quite how Bob Protheroe would describe the incident.
petet16

Post by petet16 »

Why would GJD or BAE care about pictures of scrapped aircraft appearing on line, it makes no sense to me.
Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

petet16 wrote:Why would GJD or BAE care about pictures of scrapped aircraft appearing on line, it makes no sense to me.
It possibly did when the VC10 was still in service, I doubt it matters anymore. I doubt Gary would want people he didn't know just wandering round what is essentially his livelihood though for pretty obvious reasons.
Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

Not just because its had a wash,Look at the difference.

ZA149
ZA149-11 by Lee606, on Flickr

ZA147
ZA147-19 by Lee606, on Flickr
It would be such a shame to scrap that ^ :(

VC10boy,Its only open on sundays & will cost you a fiver to get in.As Magnum says its not that easy,I went on sunday for one last look,The Victor was doing an engine test also.
Ive found the staff at Bruntingthorpe more than helpful on wednesday & sunday,After another look around the main part i asked one of the chaps if i could go down to see the VC10s and he said no problem,follow me down there :D Managed to spend about 25 mins down there taking loads of snaps with beautiful blue skies,I thought id ask if i could put my car in front of "147" on the concrete for a few pictures (you dont ask,you dont get right) he said not a problem! :shock: :D :D So massive thank you to them for that :D :D :D Your best bet is to go on sunday and ask,the staff are great and happy to help.On sunday I was asked not to take any pictures of the scrap section which is all fenced off anyways so its not like you can wander around it.I was told you have to have someone with you when down the end because people have been trying to nick bits of VC10.

More pictures here.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=821
Craig

Post by Craig »

Sorry mate, but it's still only shininess! All the airframes were flown in there, unless it's been hacked off it'll still be attached! How much grime an airframe is carrying means very little, you seen the state of the RAF Tornado fleet? :lol:
Jon Porter

Post by Jon Porter »

Grime it may be, but the fact that 147 had the last major overhaul also means it more likely that under the skin it will have less degradation in other areas. Okay I'll admit bias as 147 was the one VC10 I got to fly in, but technically it's a lower hours airframe.

I'm involved in preservation of several preservation projects cars, aircraft and in particular locomotives. The process is identical. No matter what it looks like externally, what is it like beneath the skin and what is the technical history. That is what determines where the smart money goes.

Whatever happens, undercover is the way to go. I live very near RAF Lyneham and the state of the Comet Gate Guardian is such that it's likely to be scrapped. Seeing the Beverly cut up at Hendon was very sad also. Realism indicates that not all the preserved VC10s will survive, but if the resources are available I'd prefer to see them go into 147 as a safer preservation bet.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

vc10boy wrote:my vote would be keep 147 over GASG-M,she,s in far better nic,far stronger airframe,the BA supers had alot of work done as corrosion had hit hard into the keel area,i was lucky enough to board some at Abingdon, the ex BA FLEET BEING STOOD OUT IN THE ELEMENTS FOR 10 YEARS..alot of them had to be scrapped as a result on the spot.The ex East African fleet however where always reported to be in tip top nic when British aerospace had them flown back to filton and the airframes where surveyed,And they had a far far easier life then the BA BOAC fleet,a lot less hours per airframe,Th EAA fleet spent there lives mainly in a hot dry climate..no structural work needed because of corrosion issues when filton got them and inspected them indead they where deemed strong enough to have additional internal tanks fitted,unlike the ex BA feet of supers.,and they where not left outside for a decade,that was when the real damage was done..

I would really plead if it came down to the toss betwean GASG-M and 5H-MMT please save 5H-MMT,she,s far far stronger,the last out of St Athen..as new for a VC10, and by reading past posts GASG-M was never a loved VC10 in RAF service,also Duxford have an origional BA BOAC Super anyway.
There are 2 reasons to keep 241 over 147 or even BOB as the runner, one I won't go into, but the other is this I suspect it would be easier to raise the cash and manpower to keep it that way simply because of the ex flight and engineering crew from its BOAC and BA days who would be much more inclined to support G-ASGM than either of the others as it was one of their fleet and these guys are retired, have the time, have the experience and more importantly the cash down side is they would regard Bruntingthorpe as 'up north' as they tend to be based in surrey and berkshire (Easy access to LHR).

Between '84 and '87 I did a lot of flying at Number 6 AEF at Abingdon in chippies and remember the BOAC fleet parked up there and it was a shame to see them like that

The reason the ex BOAC fleet (they don't like to be reminded of the merger) did not have any internal tanks fitted was nothing to do with the condition of the airframes, it was simply because they had no cargo door, the EAA AC did so short of cutting a big hole to fit the tanks into the BOAC Airframes it was not possible

I do know some of the Ex BOAC crew, some of which I have known entire life in fact, and at the moment they know little of the attempts to preserve a VC10 and think it's an RAF club (www.XR808.com is not a good way to make them think otherwise)
petet16

Post by petet16 »

Not strictly true re fuselage tanks, the K2 also didn't have a cargo door so the top of the fuselage was opened up to fit tanks.
vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

yes,they sliced a huge hole in the roof of the ex BOAC standards,altho the standard had,nt been left outside for a decade..also ex BOAC GUYS ARE NOW VERY OLD...they where retired from BA in 1980..33 years ago any tech help would come [mostly] from recent ex RAF blokes who are still young and upto date with the ten.. id expect,not people who last worked with them 30 to 40 years ago,save one who i met at brunty
you,v got to be realistic in the choice of airframe here,its like getting 9 mini,s together from that era,ones always going to be better than the rest bodily and thru its history ,its as simple as that,one,s always going to last longer than the rest..lets get over that simple hurdle...the photo of the undercaridge legs say it all to me..or do you fancy months just rubbing down the grotty ones and a repaint?...,i did,nt think so...,the legs are an indication of the rest i dare say..and thats just the undercaridge.

147 is in way better nic,thats the simple truth.,god help us if we can,t even come to a consensus on that...have a vote?

thanks again lee for the advice,you sound dedicated to the ten,good old boy