Vc-10 at bruntingthorpe - what will happen to it?

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Foxdelta211f-bvfd

Vc-10 at bruntingthorpe - what will happen to it?

Post by Foxdelta211f-bvfd »

We have two vc-10 aircraft now at bruntigthorpe and i just wanted to know whether the second vc-10 will join bob or whether the aircraft that landed this week will be scrapped.
It will be tragic if it is scrapped; i might go and live in it so nobody can break it up!
Surely it wouldnt hurt if they just kept it.... It would be nice to have another vc-10 preserved so that i can show it to any future family i might have
If they destroy it then they are throwing away a huge piece of aviation heritage.... And one that they will regret....
Another thing: because g-arvm has no wings and tail surely if theydo decide to scrap the freshly retired bruntingthorpe '10 then couldnt they give some wings to the mutilated brooklands g-arvm???
Its sad seeing it in pieces and i know that the one at brooklands is a standard and the aircraft at bruntingthorpe is an ex east african auper but it would be nice to have a ba vc-10 in complete form!
Bill1980

Re: Vc-10 at bruntingthorpe - what will happen to it?

Post by Bill1980 »

There is also ZD241, which was sitting at Bruntingthorpe, minus engines, on Wednesday. I heard Flt Lt Smith saying that the powers that be had vetoed a VC10 landing at Cosford and that he had taken 5,000ft to stop during the final landing, so it may possibly be the case that '147 will be dismantled and taken there by road. The important thing is that the aircraft is kept under cover, or it is liable to suffer the same fate as Victor Mike.

Being just a little biased, I would make room in the Cold War hangar by putting the "Belslow" back outside :lol:
petet16

Post by petet16 »

*quote* Its sad seeing it in pieces and i know that the one at brooklands is a standard and the aircraft at bruntingthorpe is an ex east african auper but it would be nice to have a ba vc-10 in complete form!*quote*

Standards and Supers don't share the same wings, if you grafted super wings on to a standard fuselage it'd create a C1 sort of hybrid :lol:
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

The current plans for the three frames at Bruntingthorpe is that XR808 is to be dismantled and taken to RAFM Cosford, ZA147 is to be scrapped and ZD241 will be available as a taxiable airframe.

This was announced to the gathered VIP's in the control tower at 1440Hrs on Wednesday. I am only relaying what I have been told by someone who was in the room at the time and I consider to be a reliable source of information.
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

Thanks for that.

Bob is the best candidate for Cosford having been an RAF airframe from start to finish, and being slightly smaller than a K3/K4 I dare say she will be easier to move.

I'm saddened that ZA147 is for the chop (one of the technicians aboard the aircraft said as much), particularly as it has had a longer RAF career than 241, and I would guess is in better overall condition (last big service in 2010). The K4s were I believe ex BOAC Supers that had been worked very hard and then stored outdoors for many years weakening the airframe (I gather this was the reason why extra tanks were not installed in the cabin).

Perhaps the (autographed) cockpit will be saved....
VC10BAC

Post by VC10BAC »

Can someone in the know make a definitive statement regarding airframes at Bruntingthorpe?

I've heard so many this and that comments I just don't know what is true.
"Rumours" that I heard on 25th Sept were that BOB was staying at Brunty and ZA147 was going to Cosford, which seems to go against other comments in this thread.
Al

VC10BAC
buccaners2

Post by buccaners2 »

So if 241 is becoming bruntys runner and bob is going to cosford (believe it when i see it) why dont us as a club
look after 147 it is the last raf VC10 tanker.
JEWK

Post by JEWK »

Just to say as someone who worked on ZA147 on her last Major and Minor as she was the last VC10 to be Majored and Minored shurley she is the obvious one to be preseved.
PS. The FR8 Bay was immaculate!
When I get around tuit I will be posting alot and I mean alot of in detail photos of ZA147 during her last Major and Minor at DSG St Athan. Just need the time.
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Surely it wouldnt hurt if they just kept it....
The trouble is you can't keep everything... there are 2 K3s being kept (St M and Dunsfold) a K4 (Brunti) and a C1K (BOB). When the Vulcans were kept a whole host of museums and organisations were given them and over the years very few have been kept in good condition as they are so expensive and time consuming. Sadly, good words and promises to act are rarely followed up and there is just not the money to preserve lots of these big ac. To keep them in really good condition will cost someone something... they have to be parked, maintained and looked after and really they need to be kept inside. A hanger big enough will cost many thousands to build and maintain even if you get the permission to build it.

Personally I would rather see one or two kept really well than have several all sapping the same funding line and none of them surviving more than a few years.

Tonks
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

my vote would be keep 147 over GASG-M,she,s in far better nic,far stronger airframe,the BA supers had alot of work done as corrosion had hit hard into the keel area,i was lucky enough to board some at Abingdon, the ex BA FLEET BEING STOOD OUT IN THE ELEMENTS FOR 10 YEARS..alot of them had to be scrapped as a result on the spot.The ex East African fleet however where always reported to be in tip top nic when British aerospace had them flown back to filton and the airframes where surveyed,And they had a far far easier life then the BA BOAC fleet,a lot less hours per airframe,Th EAA fleet spent there lives mainly in a hot dry climate..no structural work needed because of corrosion issues when filton got them and inspected them indead they where deemed strong enough to have additional internal tanks fitted,unlike the ex BA feet of supers.,and they where not left outside for a decade,that was when the real damage was done..

I would really plead if it came down to the toss betwean GASG-M and 5H-MMT please save 5H-MMT,she,s far far stronger,the last out of St Athen..as new for a VC10, and by reading past posts GASG-M was never a loved VC10 in RAF service,also Duxford have an origional BA BOAC Super anyway.

so as a very long term strong aiframe survivor and the last v10 to ever to fly [in a historical context] and the last to have a major service...

well there,s no contest in my veiw....

save 147 [5H-MMT] she,s probably the best out of the whole fleet

note..the only thing i would do re the ex east african k3 preserved airframes would be to take out the side-wall fittings and insulation from the k4,s [ex BA fleet]..as in the winter the condensation will be very bad from the bare metal side walls of the k3,s,not unlike an aluminium caravan if you will..the more insulation on the inner side walls the better or... drip,drip goes the water an finds its-self in the the keel and sits there..result heavy corrosion in the most vital area..[see BA vc10,s at scapped Abingdon]
Im sure the people who got the k3,s have thought this through..,Gary had unlimited k4 interior side walls and insulation...anyway lets hope?..and if you had the storage i woud have saved the seats from some ck mk1,s that got scrapped for possible future use in a preserved k3,and id have saved the perspex exterior lights of any that got scrapped ie on the rear of the tail tips of the wings ect..think ahead and plan ahead,it saves alot of troube later
Also Robin Voice at Brooklands is quite an authority on corrosion prevention on the vc10,flaps need to be set at a certain angle ect to avoid water sitting in them..id advice anyone who aquired a vc10 to contact Robin at the brooklands museum for advice re long term corrosion advice,he knows how best to store them with the winter on its way ect..
Last edited by vc10boy on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
vc10boy,s photo,s of VC10,s over the years...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116993858@N08/sets/
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Very well said Tonks

I will certainly be liaising with Gary about designing a hangar for which ever frame is kept at Brunty. I am happy to design it without charging for my time and only for that of any additional consultants, unless I can persuade them to donate their time too.

Best regards.

Dave
Craig

Post by Craig »

I'm rather biased as I'm very fond of '241, so delighted that she is to be saved, but looking at it from a historical perspective it seems to make more sense to preserve the last remaining K4 than scrap that and keep 3 of the 4 K3s. '241 was also in receipt of a major service late on, and must be in decent order to have been earmarked in the first place. With her long service in the Falklands she certainly brings a bit of something extra to telling the VC-10 story. I'll be gutted to see '147 scrapped, don't get me wrong I'd love to see them all saved, but if it has to be this way then for me the current scenario is the right one.
Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

Went to Bruntingthorpe again today for one last look
ZD241 Looking grubby/faded and minus engines
XR808 Bob.
ZA149 Well faded and minus engines
ZA147 Just out of service,very clean and looking fantastic even underneath,wheels the lot,Shes the keeper surely [-o<

XV108 on the scrap heap in half
Another behind also in half
and a tail section coded W

Will put pics up later.
Sylar

Post by Sylar »

For what it's worth and in my humble opinion it make perfect sense to retain ZA147 as the runner at Bruntingthorpe for the reasons highlighted in the last post. Also I can fully understand reasons for 241 and 147, the both have their own contributions to the VC10 story but common sense says, to be given the choice between the two, the one in the best condition wins. I have left BOB out of this as its looking like it will be cosford bound in the fullness of time.

It simply does not make sense to keep them all as it has already been stated that the more there are, the less money and parts there are to go round. Keep 147 intact, let 241 be sacrificed for the future of 147 and possibly 150 .

Cheers

Shane
ranger one one

Post by ranger one one »

I guess all the decisions will be arrived at in the fullness of time--we can speculate to our hearts content but the acid test will be how many of us will put our money where our mouth is.

If we have enough cash we can all have one VC10 each :D if not choices will have to be made.

Therefore let us wait until it is convenient and appropriate for Dave and Rich to call all those interested together ; then presumably it will be possible to determine what level of interest and finance there will be for an ongoing preservation movement.

Cheers

Bob