Vc-10 at bruntingthorpe - what will happen to it?

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Craig

Re: Vc-10 at bruntingthorpe - what will happen to it?

Post by Craig »

vc10boy wrote:lets have a vote [just for fun of-course] maybe jelle could organise it on this website on the opening page,votes open for say a week?,one vote for each signed up contributer on which vc10 we think should be saved,it might well mean nothing wotever we think,..but would be fun to know wot this site thinks as a whole,then its not just one person saying,i know best ect ect

i flew on alot of BOAC standards ,mainly kano to heathrow via rome often,flew also on nigeria airways and bua,i hold no misplaced loyalty to the aircraft i flew on,i just want the strongest and best airfame for long term preservation thats available,who knows what might happen to it in 10-20 years time

k2,s where very worn aircraft as boac and ba worked them very very hard,the undercariges took a heavy beating on the rough runways of the old empire routs,the supers where worked hard aswell,the fleet had an average of 54,000 hours in 1980 when they retired,i used to have all the hours each BA supers had flown by 1980.. when they wanted to fly them out of Abingdon the early 90,s they where all in a sorry state indeed,the keel area needed alot of complex fabrication work re new plates with the amount of corrosion that had taken a hold of the vital keel box section area.,most of them couldnt be saved,they stank inside aswell of damp in the cabin

wotever its futue i still think the best in terms of hours flown,service history ect should all be taken into account,if you knew the history of 2 classic cars,one had always been looked after and had had an easy life..and one sat in a ditch Unattended for ten years,then had had the floor welded up ,which would you tend to go for? [no matter what you intended to do with it?/,anyway lets fix up a vote to see what people think on this site?...democracy in action so to speak. :D

all jets have a design airframe life,presurised cabins,metal fatgue,lanings take off,s ect,yes the vc10 has one aswell.. :-)/\/\/\)
This is still being based on a photo of a shiny undercarriage leg though! Ultimately there are very few on here (and I'm not one of them) who really know the mechanical condition of these jets. All this talk of the BOAC days, yet the RAF successfully flew '241 for 20 years afterwards...

In years to come people would be questioning why so many of the K3s were preserved, but the chance to save 3 of the 4 marks of VC-10 was passed by. All of the surviving airframes are good enough to be saved with the requisite maintenance regime. The Brunty boys know what they're doing.
vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

no its not just based on a photo of its leg or it beng washed,ive tried to put alot of facts in but you keep on about the leg and the fact it was washed over and over again?.just out of intrest what is your history and connection to the vc10?
vc10boy,s photo,s of VC10,s over the years...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116993858@N08/sets/
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Let's face it, 241 is a well worn out aircraft, with a corroded airframe, but for many it will be the logical one to keep as it is ex BOAC.

ZA147 has the better condition airframe and is only about 10% into its extension so it would make more sense to keep as the runner at Brunty.

My personal choice would be XR808 but that has been donated to RAFM Cosford. In time he will be transported by road and displayed at Cosford but most likely minus wings to save space.

Only time will tell and at the moment we are waiting for meetings with the relevant parties before any announcements are made.
Craig

Post by Craig »

vc10boy wrote:no its not just based on a photo of its leg or it beng washed,ive tried to put alot of facts in but you keep on about the leg and the fact it was washed over and over again?.just out of intrest what is your history and connection to the vc10?
And I've countered what you've put forward. We all know that the BOAC 'frames were worked hard. For a flyer project, this would mean limited airframe hours. But that's not what's being discussed. As I've already mentioned earlier, the airframe may have had corrosion at one time, but this was removed when the conversion took place. There's no way the RAf have been flying a corroded airframe for the last 20 years it'd have been grounded immediately if there was any doubt at all over its structural integrity. You keep referring to the state of the legs as an indication of the structural integrity of the airframe despite the comment already being made that the undercarriage units are swapped relatively frequently. The photo of ZA149 (not 241, but doesn't really matter) shows a worn unit. There's no signs of corrosion on it! Yes '147 was the last serviced. '241 was also one of the last through the programme, so in terms of maintenance history you've got two airframes that have seen proper maintenance relatively recently. That's why both were amongst the last retired.

So, to restate what I've said before. In terms of current condition re airframe integrity and suitability for ground running/long term preservation, both airframes are in good condition. Buying '241 would not be entertained if this was any different. It would be a shame to see '147 scrapped, but in terms of historical interest, I'd favour '241. As for my background, I'm not sure what relevance this has to anything, but as you I'm no more than an enthusiast. My points relate however to what is known, and trusting the judgement of those that know more!
vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

magnum is spot on

i dont keep refering to the state of the legs?,your refrence to the demographics of ex BOAC employee,s in Surrey,re as reason for keeping GM ect and refering to peoples posts as twaddle?...it all sounds very unusual ?..and using huge quotations of all my posts [despite jelles guidlines] and dismissing the post with a quick sentence about the state of legs is all a little unusual for this site?.
vc10boy,s photo,s of VC10,s over the years...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116993858@N08/sets/
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Magnum wrote:Let's face it, 241 is a well worn out aircraft, with a corroded airframe, but for many it will be the logical one to keep as it is ex BOAC.

My personal choice would be XR808 but that has been donated to RAFM Cosford. In time he will be transported by road and displayed at Cosford but most likely minus wings to save space.
Thank god for that, so the original plan can be re-instated and 241 is the runner again. As far as making loud noisies and taxing about how many flying hours left is irrelevant, as it's never going to fly. History is far more relevant with regards to fund raising as nothing is going to be cheap as said before it's bums on seats, the more poeple you can interest the more chances you have of donations. However someone pinch the badges from the control columns on 147, the BA crews took them off 241 in '81 (Apaprently they grabbed them all before handing the AC over to the RAF)
Craig

Post by Craig »

vc10boy wrote:magnum is spot on

i dont keep refering to the state of the legs?,your refrence to the demographics of ex BOAC employee,s in Surrey,re as reason for keeping GM ect and refering to peoples posts as twaddle?...it all sounds very unusual ?..and using huge quotations of all my posts [despite jelles guidlines] and dismissing the post with a quick sentence about the state of legs is all a little unusual for this site?.
Excuse me vc10boy, I have not got personal with my comments, and do not wish to. I'd ask you to get your facts straight. I have made NO mention of BOAC employees in Surrey or otherwise, nor have I dismissed anyone's comments as "twaddle". Huge quotations? I have quoted small posts as it makes the posts easier to follow. I've been posting on forums for some years and understand the etiquette well enough. I'd ask in future that you'd please do me the kindness of discussing the points in hand rather than trying to slate me. That is, after all, what we are supposedly here for.
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

The badges are long gone. Auctioned off for the RAF Benevolent Fund sometime before the last 2 refuelling flights I heard.
As said elsewhere though, we need to sit tight and wait fot a while . No money had yet been paid for 241 or 147. BAe still own both airframes and could instruct their contractors to scrap them all.
zaffie 03

Post by zaffie 03 »

Just for a point of interest, all of the K4's were delivered back to 101sqd with new (replica) very expensive Vickers control column badges. That was all but a/c which had very specific unique badges fitted due to a royal reception at BZN.
Does anyone involved remember?

Zaffie 03
AJW

Post by AJW »

Magnum wrote:
WHAT!!! That's criminal!! Fair enough take bob to RAFM, but WITHOUT WINGS!!! Ridiculous. I'd rather not see one at Cosford than see one without wings!
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

I agree entirely, it wouldn't be much of a VC10 without its wings :roll: . It also seems inconceivable that the sole surviving C.1 won't be preserved intact.

I was at Brunty today, although I couldn't get close to the four VC10s parked there. Bob has been moved largely out of sight since the 25th. The Super Guppy was open to visitors, and the flight deck reminded me of the bridge of a ship!

Bill
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

This is disgusting that they want to cut BOB up, I to cannot believe that they would do this to the last surviving C1 :(:(:(

Please don't chop him up .......

Andy
ACLVC10
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

OK, before it goes mad and gets out of hand, the comment about 808 and the wings was just a passing remark made during a conversation about the transport of planes from airfields to museums. There are no plans to do this as far as I know. I apologise if I have given the wrong impression here.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Magnum wrote:OK, before it goes mad and gets out of hand, the comment about 808 and the wings was just a passing remark made during a conversation about the transport of planes from airfields to museums. There are no plans to do this as far as I know. I apologise if I have given the wrong impression here.
Fair comment, the wings will obviously have to come off to transport it, so long as they're reunited at the other end! :shock:
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

Here's the latest from Bruntingthorpe: http://www.bruntingthorpeaviation.com/n ... 10-flight/

It seems that as expected, Bob will be staying at Brunty, and one of the other three may end up at Cosford. Perhaps we should start a campaign...

Bill.