G-ASHG - The VC10's Little Brother

Any VC10 related discussions.....

Post by 1103 »

Not strictly VC10, I know.

Today marks 50 years since the prototype BAC 1-11 crashed after experiencing the first super-stall killing all 7 crew. RIP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-24608183

Paul

Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: G-ASHG - The VC10's Little Brother

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.

Post by 1103 »

Jelle, where is that located?

Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

In the memorial garden at Brooklands, between the fuel pagoda and the Strat chamber next to the club house/paddock. I only noticed it there last month, although I have been in that garden before.

VC10BAC

Post by VC10BAC »

Anybody notice the error?
Follow the link and look at the 2nd picture (the one highlighting the text). Isn't that the wrong aircraft reg? #-o
Al

VC10BAC

Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

It is indeed. G-ASGH is a Super VC10 c/n 858, delivered to BOAC and flew for BA after the merger. Sold to the RAF as ZD236 and broken up for spares.

petet16

Post by petet16 »

It should have read G-ASHG.

Post by 1103 »

Mike Lithgow wasn't Chief Test Pilot either. He was at Supermarine but at BAC Jock Bryce was CPT.

Paul

Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I read on PPRuNe that the organisation is aware of the registration error and will rectify it, they just didn't have time to do it before the ceremony.

vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Both the 1-11 and Trident had in my view rather short tail fins which accelerated the onset of a deep stall in both aircraft, by not requiring a very high angle of attack (When DP Davies discusses deep stalls in his book "Handling the Big Jets" he uses the Trident as an illustration!). The VC10's is of course much taller thus aerodynamically giving more room and time for a recovery be it manuel or pusher (also it is kept out of jetwash in the event that the engines should stall as well). Somebody may correct me but, as far as I know the 10 never got near a super stall even under test.
vololiberista

Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

In my book coming out in the not too distant future I describe an incident in 1966 when on my base training with a certain well known trainer when we did enter the super stall area totally due to his 'bravado' and we took quite a few thousand feet to recover. The bar was very quiet that night.

Gwyn

vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Gwyn wrote:In my book coming out in the not too distant future I describe an incident in 1966 when on my base training with a certain well known trainer when we did enter the super stall area totally due to his 'bravado' and we took quite a few thousand feet to recover. The bar was very quiet that night.

Gwyn
That will be an interesting read.
vololiberista

Gwyn

Post by Gwyn »

Hi again, as it is my first attempt at serious writing I am in the middle of the proofing from the pub. and I never knew I was so illiterate with 'red' all over the place. It the first of three books about my life and this one is all about my life on the VC-10s of BA/BOAC. When I first flew the 'queen' in BOAC not all of the supers had been delivered.

Gwyn

vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Gwyn wrote:Hi again, as it is my first attempt at serious writing I am in the middle of the proofing from the pub. and I never knew I was so illiterate with 'red' all over the place. It the first of three books about my life and this one is all about my life on the VC-10s of BA/BOAC. When I first flew the 'queen' in BOAC not all of the supers had been delivered.

Gwyn
Why on Earth are you doing your proof reading in a pub!! :lol:
vololiberista

Rover75

Post by Rover75 »

vololiberista wrote:
Gwyn wrote:Hi again, as it is my first attempt at serious writing I am in the middle of the proofing from the pub. and I never knew I was so illiterate with 'red' all over the place. It the first of three books about my life and this one is all about my life on the VC-10s of BA/BOAC. When I first flew the 'queen' in BOAC not all of the supers had been delivered.

Gwyn
Why on Earth are you doing your proof reading in a pub!! :lol:
vololiberista
Gwyn is just reading all of the spirit bottle labels where they read '70% proof' :lol:

Cheers

Mike