VC10 Badges on eBay

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Tonkenna

VC10 Badges on eBay

Post by Tonkenna »

Just a quick note to say that sadly reproduction VC10 badges have started appearing on eBay. The badges are never described as such though the are normally described as new. It is worth having a look at what other badges the seller has for sale as there are usually a big selection of other "old" badges from long gone ac types. The sellers hope for a feeding frenzy for the first badges they put up... I saw a Victor repro badge go for more than £60 because it was "rare" only to see the same badge re-appear over and over... One particular seller was showing an original badge as the main pic and then a much smaller pic of the actual one for sale which was clearly brand new,

So, be aware what you buy and what you pay...

All the best,

Tonks
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
ACLVC10

Re: VC10 Badges on eBay

Post by ACLVC10 »

Many thanks for the heads up Tonks, I'm pretty convinced that most of that type if stuff on there now is reproduction.

I was watching a VC10 Training Flight patch and comparing it to the one that I have you could see that it clearly wasn't genuine :(

It's a sad state of affairs when people are cashing in on this ......

Andy
ACLVC10
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

VC10 Badges on eBay

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

OTOH there are loads of people for whom it doesn't matter if the badge is genuine. A question of supply and demand I guess. What is a sad state of affairs is that they don't clearly state this when offering the stuff for sale.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Report the items to eBay, they will do something about it. eBay now really protects the buyer and sellers have basically no protection at all. If you can somehow prove the badges are reproduction items then it is simply fraud, use that word with eBay, they get nervous over those sorts of terms and will pull items and issue warnings.

I have also seen on eBay "original VC10 coasters from 60's" but they are so squeaky clean and the guy has enormous quantities to sell. I did contact him and asked for a receipt from where he purchased them from and he never got back to me, funny that.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Thumper wrote:Report the items to eBay, they will do something about it. eBay now really protects the buyer and sellers have basically no protection at all. If you can somehow prove the badges are reproduction items then it is simply fraud, use that word with eBay, they get nervous over those sorts of terms and will pull items and issue warnings.

I have also seen on eBay "original VC10 coasters from 60's" but they are so squeaky clean and the guy has enormous quantities to sell. I did contact him and asked for a receipt from where he purchased them from and he never got back to me, funny that.
Yes I bought some of those and then when I received them I soon realised they were not genuine...... I have got a full refund in these now.
ACLVC10
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Seems ebay is full of mass produced copies these days. I see the same 12 Squadron Buccaneer patch over and over again, starting price always £4.99. A genuine one and I've not seen one for years, would be quite pricey I guess. Good copies though and it was the fact that he had a seemingly bottomless supply that eventually alerted my suspicions. He sells Victor patches as well, again very good but they should state copy or replica in the description so you can make a choice. It really grinds my gears!!

I saw the blue VC10 eng patch the other day, in fact tried to post a link but that didn't work. I did wonder ...... So its not genuine then? I realise it looked new but there could be new genuine ones about?? What really caught my eye though is the VC10 image on the patch .... two engines? I have seen a photo of this patch on this forum too looks the same ??
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

That is the one I saw and I did email him and he only confirmed it was brand new as advertised... I took from that that its repro... I have a an old one (and yes the original has 2 engines lol) that is unused... but when you look at the back you can tell its old and even from the front you can see the difference in the stitching. The VC10 TF one is interesting as it was an old badge from a batch made ages ago that were never used for flying suits as they were unsuitable, but it is "original" in that its from the period!

Unfortunately I now assume most stuff is repro!

Tonks
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

"Unfortunately I now assume most stuff is repro!"

Yes, I would agree with you there. The only ones to be sure of are the patches I came across and still recognise, from when I was in the mob .... but its getting harder.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Just checked with a guy on eBay, he's selling some flight safety cards on there and he tells me that are 100% genuine, not that I need them but just thought I would give everyone else the heads up in case any of you are interested??

Andy
ACLVC10
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

I've recently bought a "job done" patch ..... anyone heard of or seen this one? Were they made in any official capacity or produced by enthusiasts? Its a round patch about 4inch with a profile of a VC10 tail on XR808 I think with the special markings on the tail.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

I do know the one you mean, I looked at that one to but never got round to purchasing it. I don't think it's a official one just one that someone has taken there time to design. I'm sure Tonks will be able to confirm or deny this.
ACLVC10
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

The "Job Done" patches were not official Sqn patches and were produced independently of the RAF...

Tonks
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Tonkenna wrote:The "Job Done" patches were not official Sqn patches and were produced independently of the RAF...

Tonks
That's exactly what I thought, thanks Tonks

Andy
ACLVC10
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

There is also a 'job done' T-shirt with the same design. It was on Ebay a while ago and I saw one or two around back in September at Brize Norton during the enthusiasts event. Not an official design as Tonks mentioned (also the forum shirts look more classy :wink: ).

Edit: looks like they changed the design: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-Shirt-celeb ... 2333a56506

Edit2: Guess we're talking about this one then? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYAL-AIR-FOR ... 3389646185
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Have to agree with you Jelle on the shirt thing, the forum shirts are far better quality as I have purchased one of the "job done" shirts and it's only a shirt not a polo shirt like ours on the forum.
ACLVC10