VC10 Periscopes on Ebay

Any VC10 related discussions.....
EGDGZTCW

VC10 Periscopes on Ebay

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Sorry no linky but two Periscopes on ebay listed tonight from the same seller.....

Search for seller = foxdiver01

petet16

Re: VC10 Periscopes on Ebay

Post by petet16 »

EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Thanks for the link, I cannot get this ipad thingy to post links .... must be me

He's got one starting at £45 with a box and another £35 seemingly without a box. Only one appears to have the red rubber eye piece.

petet16

Post by petet16 »

He's got a few interesting things, the kits of reamers for flying control bushes are a rare find.

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

I noticed these earlier but I feel they will be out of my budget range :(

Good luck to anyone bidding from here.
ACLVC10

EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Well of the two for sale the more expensive one (start price £45.00) came in a box and has the red eye piece. The first periscope ended last night and went for its start price of £35 with no box or eye piece. Its condition appeared from the photo's to better than the one I was going to bid on with the box.
I came to place a bid and just happened to notice the photo's of the box have been taken off and the description changed to not mentioning a box! ..... Price not dropped though ...... Good job I noticed, saved myself a few pounds......the auction ends tonight.

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

A periscope with a box was sold last year for £38.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aviation-Aero ... 7675.l2557

The 2 periscopes from the same seller (foxdiver01) have both sold now, the first one without a box went for £35, the second one is a bit confusing, it looks like he removed mention of it being boxed and then 5 minutes before the auction ended added the following;
On 26-Jan-14 at 17:09:54 GMT, seller added the following information:

comes with carrying box
The boxed one went for £64

EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

What was he up to ? Poor description and a mixture of photo's......not happy really, oh well saved myself £64.

ACLVC10

VC10 Periscopes on Ebay

Post by ACLVC10 »

I must say I was considering buying and I was even in comms with the guy negotiating a price but I believe he was asking to much and yes the description and pictures seemed to forever changing.

So I went for the VC10 coin instead ..... and won :)
ACLVC10

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Nice one Andy, the coin was lovely, I wouldn't mind seeing some nice up close photo's of that if you don't mind!

The periscope debacle was a bit confusing, he deals in lots of military stuff looking at his other items.

Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Thumper wrote: The boxed one went for £64
Mine all mine!!! Yes I bought it there is a reason an entirely sentimental. When I was about 4 or 5 I was puzzled about the lack of a rear view mirror in an airliner and asked how my dad how he could see what was behind him when flying, the answer was that they had a periscope!

ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Stewart wrote:
Thumper wrote: The boxed one went for £64
Mine all mine!!! Yes I bought it there is a reason an entirely sentimental. When I was about 4 or 5 I was puzzled about the lack of a rear view mirror in an airliner and asked how my dad how he could see what was behind him when flying, the answer was that they had a periscope!
Enjoy.... I only really didn't go for it because I couldn't smuggle it in that easy with out the wife noticing :)
ACLVC10

Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Congrats on the purchase Stewart, glad it's gone to a fan! =D>

Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I was talking to my dad about it last night and he said the reason they had them was largely becasue you can't see the engines form inside the aircraft unlike those with the engines under the wings. At times the flight crew may or even need to see whats actualy going on, and so this was provided to do just that. That makes me wonder if the other rear engined airliners of the time (BAC 1-11, 727 DC-10 etc) had a similar arrangement, would explain why that other one looked differnt (shorter) to the VC-10 one, maybe it was from a 1-11? (The idea of just using the same part in use on another AC to do the same job would be agaist the grain in british aviation!)

Post by 1103 »

Stewart wrote: maybe it was from a 1-11? (The idea of just using the same part in use on another AC to do the same job would be agaist the grain in british aviation!)
The BAC One-Eleven didn't have one.

The Aircrew Manual - Technical lists the periscope under emergency equipment for Fin & Tailplane inspection. I have to say I don't think you would get any meaningful view of the engines from the viewing port located at about 12:30 either side of the fuselage centreline.