Any VC10 related discussions.....
EGDGZTCW

Re: VC10 Periscopes on Ebay

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Another one up now, same seller, same photo's ...... no box .....yet
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

He had 4 of them, he has sold 2, including the one I have whihc was the only one with a box, I think the photos are a combination of the 4 he had. However I did pick mine up personally and he seemed striaght forwad enonough, Tanks are his thing rather than AC
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

1103 wrote:I have to say I don't think you would get any meaningful view of the engines from the viewing port located at about 12:30 either side of the fuselage centreline.
Thst exactly whet they were intended for, meaningfull or not. The top mirror(or prism, which would be better without taking it apart I cant say whcih is it) can have its angle changed so it will sweep up and down, which is controled by the wheel on the side if that helps
petet16

Post by petet16 »

You can get a perfect view of the engines by looking out of the window, and if it's dark, the intake ice inspection light on the top of stn 89 flap beam comes in to play.
Last edited by petet16 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

You can indeed tilt down the top mirror but because of the location of the mountings you will be looking at the top surface of the engine nacelles. As petet16 mentioned you'd be better off using the windows as it is the intake lip that you would like to be able to inspect.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I can only report what I was told by my father who did fly them from '64-'77! but I would guess there are times you might want to see what is exiting the engine rather than whats happening at the front of it? An engine fire might not be intiatlly as apparent at the intake end, but should be more than aparent at the exhaust end (never seen one but I imagine airflow while in flight would reduce what is visible form the front but I ma guessing here), while I know there are more than enough indicators to inform the flight crew if this situation occours I am also aware of a few situations where the wrong engine has been shut down, Concorde for one. In fairness he also said it was seldom if ever used and the few times when it was it was nromally in the cockipt housing to look at the tail. He also said if you did this while doing the dutch roll exersise the view could be rather alarming. In fact he does not recall any occasion where it became needed, but that his understading was it was priimarily intended to look at the engines, however spent more time looking at the tail and mostly on training flights to scare trainees!

Edit: my mistake, the cocorde engine was incorrectly shut down, but there have been other incidendt where the instruments have caused the wrong engine to be shut down when looking at the engines would have made the correct decision posible, I just cant think of one at this time. There is the other issue of how long have you got, to get to the back, get the periscope in place and take a look and how long it takes for it to all become academic! and given the amazing number of later AC fitted with a perisocpe I guess this did not escape the attention of the aircraft builders/desigeners or regulatory authorities!
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

I've just won the latest periscope listed on Ebay, although I missed out on the G-ARTA trophy auction that ended earlier on today #-o
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Nice one ... well done!
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Well done Bill :)
ACLVC10
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

Thanks, I'm glad I managed to get hold of one at last! And it hasn't ended up with some non VC10 enthusiast who thinks it is part of a submarine :lol:

I wonder who won G-ARTA? A bargain at £42...

Post by 1103 »

Stewart wrote:I can only report what I was told by my father who did fly them from '64-'77! but I would guess there are times you might want to see what is exiting the engine rather than whats happening at the front of it? An engine fire might not be intiatlly as apparent at the intake end, but should be more than aparent at the exhaust end (never seen one but I imagine airflow while in flight would reduce what is visible form the front but I ma guessing here), while I know there are more than enough indicators to inform the flight crew if this situation occours I am also aware of a few situations where the wrong engine has been shut down, Concorde for one. In fairness he also said it was seldom if ever used and the few times when it was it was nromally in the cockipt housing to look at the tail. He also said if you did this while doing the dutch roll exersise the view could be rather alarming. In fact he does not recall any occasion where it became needed, but that his understading was it was priimarily intended to look at the engines, however spent more time looking at the tail and mostly on training flights to scare trainees!

Edit: my mistake, the cocorde engine was incorrectly shut down, but there have been other incidendt where the instruments have caused the wrong engine to be shut down when looking at the engines would have made the correct decision posible, I just cant think of one at this time. There is the other issue of how long have you got, to get to the back, get the periscope in place and take a look and how long it takes for it to all become academic! and given the amazing number of later AC fitted with a perisocpe I guess this did not escape the attention of the aircraft builders/desigeners or regulatory authorities!
I still find it hard to believe it was for engine inspection. All the documentation I have seen says it was for tail inspection.

As you have already alluded are you going to waste time getting to the back of the aircraft, possibly past trollies in the aisle, getting the periscope of it stowage and into its recepticle to look at an engine? All this time the suspected problem would be getting worse, possibly risking an engine disintegration. It is not as if the 10 was short on power, you are going to shut the engine down no questions asked. Looking at it another way if the engine instrumention is telling you there is a problem and you can possibly feel vibration on the throttle lever and/or HP cock, are you going to ignore all that because the the engine looks OK through a very limited periscope view?

Paul

edit: What other a/c had periscopes?
Last edited by 1103 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Taken from the iceing inspection periscope on a VC10
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/inde ... periscope/
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

The top photo is certainly taken from the aft periscope mount, port side looking forward, the other the window. Next time I'm onboard 148 I will fit the periscope up and take a look around but from memory, you can see the engine intakes but only from a very oblique angle, not sure about the rest of the nacelle or jet pipe but I will have a look.

Gives me an excuse to play :D

Chris
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Definitely a great excuse Chris, some photo's would also be fun to see! :D

Post by 1103 »

EGDGZTCW wrote:The top photo is certainly taken from the aft periscope mount, port side looking forward, the other the window. Next time I'm onboard 148 I will fit the periscope up and take a look around but from memory, you can see the engine intakes but only from a very oblique angle, not sure about the rest of the nacelle or jet pipe but I will have a look.

Chris
I meant to do that last Friday on 150, but forgot :(