About Blank pop ups

Changes? Corrections? Additions? New forums? Post your questions, suggestions or comments here. Also I'll try to let you know what's happening with the site.
Laurieg

About Blank pop ups

Post by Laurieg »

Has anyone else had a problem with this pop up when coming onto this site. It has been happening to me this evening only?
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
LSS

Post by LSS »

No problems here last night or today Laurie.
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Non here either...

Tonks 8)
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

None here Laurie, but can you tell me which page you were trying to load when they turned up? Was it the front page of the site, or just any page?
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

It was the front page, ok when I was in.

Numerous scans with NAV, Spybot etc showed no probs. (Even did an on- line scan from Symantec). HJT shows not enteries, either.

Can't explain it but it seems to have gone. Got on here ok today.
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

If it was just the frontpage, then it might have been a bit of script that is on that page. Just below the 'updated' date there is a small blue image which links to a page with statistics that I use to keep track of visitors. The script for this has caused some pop-ups in the past (it's a free service) but I've always been able to get rid of them again too (updating the script usually worked). If it re-occurs then let me know, I might have to look for a different statistics service in the future then!
JamesA

Pop ups

Post by JamesA »

I have been getting these irritations on a regular basis. Sometimes it has required reselecting three or four times, or going to another site and then back again. Haven't had them the last few visits though. Same ones as LaurieG reports, i.e. virus check or similar. Just another annoyance of this modern lifestyle, I suppose
Keep taking the pills
JA
Never trust a man who doesn't drink
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I've stopped using the Webstats4U service which was the cause of these popups and removed all their code from the site. This means that the site should now remain free of these pests!

Apologies to all who've suffered from these irritations, it should now be a thing of the past (on my site at least)!

If anyone still has these problems please post here or send me an e-mail as I really don't want that cr*p on my site. I was using webstats4U as it was a great free service in the past but since they've been taken over they have been sneaking in ads without letting us know. I've looked at their code a few times in the past few months and thought that I was rid of the popups, but apparently they were sneakier than I thought.