Spam postings on the forum

Room for non-VC10 related issues, anything fits in here actually.
Gsxr600

Spam postings on the forum

Post by Gsxr600 »

Oops, has the forum been hacked?
ACLVC10

Re: Tristar delivery flights

Post by ACLVC10 »

Looks like it, doesn't appear to be VC10 related ..... ;)
ACLVC10
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Reported this user this morning, I'm sure this oddity will be gone as soon as Jelle has the time.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Will do as soon as I'm home!
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: Spam postings on the forum

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Done!

Just to clarify the situation, the forum has not been hacked. Posts like these (they're gone now but you've seen them) are there purely to promote something, in this case through the two links which were in the user's signature. In cases such as these someone manages to go through the registration process (either in person or partially automated) and includes a dodgy link in his user profile or signature. They will then create multiple posts in the forums, often in very old topics, so that the links can be seen and clicked upon. Which of course you smart people don't do, right? :wink:

I am fortunate in that the forum doesn't get all that many of these strange posts. If they do occur I try to be quick and delete the user, thereby deleting all his posts as well. I also ban the e-mail address that was used to register but that's not a final fix as these people tend to have hundreds of different e-mail addresses.

I was a bit busy at work today and couldn't find the time until now. Thanks everyone who reported this to me!
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.