Tristar Fleet

Room for non-VC10 related issues, anything fits in here actually.
Thumper

Re: Tristar Fleet

Post by Thumper »

Saturday is being mentioned while people seem to be suffering from coughing fits and then someone else comes along to state that nothing is happening on Saturday. Do GJD even work Saturdays? If not then you won't be getting in to Brunty. There are no NOTAMs in place for Bruntingthorpe this Saturday yet.
Ron

Post by Ron »

As I mentioned previously, such landings are not permitted at weekends.

It's looking Wednesday 19th March at the moment, but as always, this is subject to final confirmation.
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

I had a nice wander around inside 705 today with Gary Spoors and Tonks.
Anglojet

Post by Anglojet »

Annoyed I missed 704 doing circuits yesterday.
Ron

Post by Ron »

As always, subject to confirmation, it's looking like.....

Wednesday 19th March.. one Tristar into Bruntingthorpe, eta 1200 ish
Tuesday 25th March...... four Tristars into Bruntingthorpe, spread throughout the day.

As I have already said/indicated/call it what you will, this is SUBJECT TO CHANGE, but unlikely to (until it does !!!)
Ron

Post by Ron »

And it has changed !!

Now two on Wednesday 19th, at 1200 and 1530.
Clearly this leaves 3 for Tuesday 25th March.
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

Is there any word on access to the airfield to watch tomorrow's landings?
Pete268

Post by Pete268 »

It's very sad to see the RAF Tristars being retired. Thanks to Magnum for the photos of ZE705, an aircraft I had a particularly affinity with.

I flew on ZE705's first RAF flight from Brize to Akrotiri way back in the early/mid1980's during my first posting to Cyprus having been back to the UK on leave. I remember the pilot saying over the PA that it was the first operational flight of the 'ex PanAmerican Airways' aircraft.

In early 1989, I renewed my acquaintance flying to the Falklands, both ways on 705.

I again flew out on 705 to Akrotiri when my second Cyprus tour started November 1989.

Sadly (for me) I was 'aero-meded' back to the UK in early 1992 again on ZE705. Although I don't remember much about this flight as I was partly sedated , my everlasting thought was that I got much more legroom on my stretcher than those sat in the seats did!!

Sadly this was my last trip on 705 as I was subsequently medically discharged from the RAF.

I recall it was 705 that had the rather 'hard landing' at Brize circa 1985 and it took quite a lot of effort by BA engineers to rebuild it (cracked spars etc).

Overall I think the Tristars were a great aircraft (after the mighty VC10 of course). What with the delays etc to the Voyager tankers I am surprised to see them all being retired within such a very short space of time (bar ZD949 with its digital glass cockpit which has been at Marshalls for years). If, as I understand it, the Voyager still cannot do aerial refueling, what will be providing air to air refueling cover in the Falklands with all the VC10's/Tristars retired??

Pete
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Hi Pete...

Voyager is carrying out AAR, is in the Falklands and on QRA... we are very busy :wink:

There are some more pics of the Tristar and the 10s at Brunti here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/sets ... 425357124/ including some night shots from the weekend...

Tonks :mrgreen:
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
petet16

Post by petet16 »

I remember the hard landing incident, we were working on the 101 Sqn line at the time, and well recall it getting airborne trailing a huge stream of fuel behind it, I think they were incredibly lucky it didn't ignite.

She was in Base Hangar for a long while being repaired.
XR807

Post by XR807 »

Monday March 24th will be the last operational sorties flown by the Lockheed Tristar in RAF service. 2 of the 4 that remain in service will be flown on a final mission that will include some AAR work and then fly pasts at several airfields with which the type has been associated including Marshalls of Cambridge. The duo are due to take off at around 1030 local and should return in the early afternoon. The 4 that are left are then expected to be flown out of Brize on March 25th, presumably to Bruntingthorpe for scrapping.

Can't say I took that much notice of the type during most of its illustrious 30 year service bring an avowed VC10 fan, but its surprising how much more appealing certain aircraft become when you know they wont be around much longer!

Mark
Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

XR807 wrote: Can't say I took that much notice of the type during most of its illustrious 30 year service bring an avowed VC10 fan, but its surprising how much more appealing certain aircraft become when you know they wont be around much longer!
Mark
Yep, suddenly realise what you'll me missing, once its gone its a another chapter of aviation history only in a museum, silent and static.
buccaners2

Post by buccaners2 »

Has anyone got any news on the final arrivals of the last 4 tristars into bruntingthorpe tomorrow because I want to be there to see them?
NewquayVC10

Post by NewquayVC10 »

Same here except would be going to Brize to see them off