Tristar Fleet

Room for non-VC10 related issues, anything fits in here actually.
Gsxr600

Re: Tristar Fleet

Post by Gsxr600 »

Do you imagine the RAF/MOD are selling them, or having to pay to get them scrapped? Presumably they must be worth something as scrap meal, or potentially even as flyers for a third world airline as they are very low houred. Why not even export them as tankers to a foreign airforce?
Jazz707

Post by Jazz707 »

The sad fact is, with the RAF's Tristar retirement, we will 'almost' see another classic jetliner gone from the skies.

This will leave just the one flying, Orbital's N140SC based at Mojave. But for how much longer?

There are plans by a new group in Kansas to fly CS-TMR out of storage at Victorville shortly. N91011 is intended to be kept flying, and used for 'Tristar Experience learning programs'. They have also acquired exec BAC1-11 N999BW, which was flown to Kansas recently. Good luck to them.
spikeXR809

Post by spikeXR809 »

Hi everyone
just been reading some of the tristar post reference scapping,i know today that mt transported a tristar tow bar to kemble to be in place for use on monday as i have heard that a tristar is going there on monday, as are also providing a tmv ambulance for emergency cover.
if i hear anything i will post the info.

have nice weekend to you all

thanks
spikexr807
Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

So wherever they are going, do we think they are going by March? No extension?
Jazz707

Post by Jazz707 »

As just reported on Fighter Control...

"Within the last hour ZD952 Tristar has landed at the Cotswold Airport (Kemble) for storage".

Ron?
Ron

Post by Ron »

Hmm, your guess is as good as mine on this one at the moment. My contact is currently away so I can't double check on this right now and, most importantly, he's never let me down before.

My information was they were all going to be SCRAPPED in the US. The UK bidders had been undercut, which was a bit surprising considering the additional ferry costs to the US. The postings that I have seen all refer to 952 going to Kemble for STORAGE, but this could all obviously be based on interpretation. Could this be prior to being flown to the US?? Does anybody know any different??

Clearly I would not have posted had I had any doubt over the accuracy of the information. As one other regular poster on this forum is aware, my information to date has always been very accurate. However, there is always a first time for 'duff' info to filter through - should that be the case I will be very, very surprised.

As I have said in an earlier posting, nothing seems to be confirmed these days until it has actually happened !!
petet16

Post by petet16 »

It suggests to me that it has gone to Kemble for storage, pending final disposal, although why they didn't choose to store it at Brize is a mystery, likewise for flying them to the US for scrapping.
Jazz707

Post by Jazz707 »

I'm sure the full story will be known soon.

Certainly not the usual scenario, for any aircraft to be flown to Kemble for storage before flying somewhere else for scrapping. But then maybe this isn't a 'usual' disposal contract?

Nice video of the landing (turn it up!)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sd5JUvqcPo
Flour Power

Post by Flour Power »

There's a report on FC of a Tristar at Kemble this morning minus engine(s). The plot thickens...
Last edited by Flour Power on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Maybe they want one for display purposes?? :)
ACLVC10
Flour Power

Post by Flour Power »

Gratuitous photo op. Sorry. :twisted:

ZD952 at Brize last year.

RIP ZD952 by Flour Power 99, on Flickr
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Great photo!

In contrast I had to share this great shot that Matt Birch sent me today with you guys. Somehow it looks better in these classic colours if you ask me.
N31001 Lockheed Tristar of TWA (on lease to Air Transat of Canada at the time) “arrives" at Las Vegas 25 Feb 1991. Maybe the PNF missed the "50 feet" call to initiate the flare ? We joked that the Cactus 757 at the holding point would have to wait for the RVR to improve before he departed.
There's something elegant about the Tristar that a DC-10 or MD-11 just doesn't have.
N31001_MBirch.jpg
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Flour Power

Post by Flour Power »

Thank you Jelle.

Sadly, it seems 952's 'storage' at Kemble has become 'disposal'...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/RAFbrizenorton/ne ... 6&rss=true

:-({{|=
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:Great photo!

There's something elegant about the Tristar that a DC-10 or MD-11 just doesn't have.
N31001_MBirch.jpg
That's because Lockhhed designed it as a three engined aircraft whereas the DC10 and derivatives were a quick marketing answer be Dougals and of course famously untested!
vololiberista
Jazz707

Post by Jazz707 »

Last edited by Jazz707 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.