Biman DC-10 into Bruntingthorpe on 25 February

Room for non-VC10 related issues, anything fits in here actually.
Chris K

Biman DC-10 into Bruntingthorpe on 25 February

Post by Chris K »

Hey guys, just read on the BHX plane spotting blog that the final Biman Bangladesh DC-10 S2-ACR will be preserved at Bruntingthorpe, following its farewell flights from Birmingham airport:

"TUESDAY 25 FEBRUARY 2014

Biman Bangladesh Airlines Douglas DC10-30 S2-ACR makes its final flight
from Birmingham Airport to Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome where it will be
preserved in the aviation museum"

http://bhxflightguide.blogspot.de/2014/ ... biman.html

Can anyone confirm that information? Would be great news for Brunti!

Cheers,
Chris
Magnum

Re: Biman DC-10 into Bruntingthorpe on 25 February

Post by Magnum »

I believe this aircraft is going to be part of the Bruntingthorpe collection.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

The Biman DC-10 arrives back in Birmingham on 20th Feb and will then do scenic flights for 4 days with the last commercial flight being on the 24th Feb before being retired completely, I cannot see any mention of Bruntingthorpe though and cannot find a NOTAM issued for 25th either so unsure about the Bruntingthorpe part.
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

I've booked a seat on one of the pleasure flights on Sunday morning. I've never been a church goer, but I think I may say a prayer or two! [-o< It'll be the first time I've flown in a tri-jet for over 20 years, and it'll make a nice change from generic Boeings and A320s :D

It'd be nice if the aircraft is preserved at Brunty.
Anglojet

Post by Anglojet »

There's all sorts of conflicting chat about this one. Some say it's going to Brunty, others that it's going back to Dhaka to be scrapped. Either way, the ferry flight to the USA seems to have gone out the window.
Jazz707

Post by Jazz707 »

Anglojet wrote:There's all sorts of conflicting chat about this one. Some say it's going to Brunty, others that it's going back to Dhaka to be scrapped. Either way, the ferry flight to the USA seems to have gone out the window.
Seems to have been missed by most (and not picked up by the rumour mill). Over a month ago...

http://newagebd.com/detail.php?date=201 ... wcHnj9WGiB
"The world’s last operating DC-10-30 aircraft that Biman Bangladesh Airlines owns will now not end its days in a Seattle museum in the United States for shortage of space, officials said. Instead, the authorities have invited proposals to buy the last DC-10-30 aircraft any time after February 25 either from Dhaka or the United Kingdom or from any other place in an 'as it is, where it is' condition, according to the official document signed by Belayet Hossain, Biman’s general manager responsible for corporate planning."

Then the Brunty rumour, which some were believing!

Now, all indications are that the aircraft will return to Dhaka for scrapping (as with others in the fleet). This recent thread on airliners.net sums up the confusion...

"The DC-10 is said to be returning to Bangladesh after the BHX flights, and return to schedule with the airline. No retirement yet...."

"I can imagine that Ian Allan will be dealing with some disgruntled customers who might not be the "last to fly" after paying a premium fare."

"I contacted Ian Allan and had a reply in 14 minutes: I have only just been forwarded an email from one of our tour managers five minutes ago regarding this and, to be honest I am still in shock. We have emailed Biman directly to get clarification!"

"I wouldn't blame Ian Allan for this as they have possibly been mislead by Biman. It wouldn't be a first for them though, I purchased a ticket for the "last" passenger VC10 flight in 1981 only to find out that there was another flight the next day!"

"No retirement yet.... would mean we've been fooled by their "last to fly" marketing campaign. They've sold us a product that would not be the product they advertised.

"Yes we paid the £50 extra to supposedly be "Last to Fly" the DC-10 as passengers."

"Where can we email Biman? I only bought the flight to be "Last to Fly the DC-10". I have been on countless numbers of DC-10s in my flying life all airlines considered. Many many long haul hours on them. I wouldn't have booked it otherwise if I had known there would be other passenger flights following that - no matter where in the world they would continue doing their flights."

"We need to have the truth from BG on this. The page specifying that these would indeed be the last passenger flights has been scrubbed on the Biman website. How convenient."

But now finally the truth?...

"As no museum has so far expressed any interest to get the last DC-10 passenger flight for showcasing, our management is now thinking about other alternatives,” Debabrata Banik, Chief Engineer of the national flag carrier told the Dhaka Tribune yesterday.

Khan Mosharaf Hosen, general manager of Biman’s public relations, said: "Biman management now plans to sale the engine and other equipments first and later on, the rest of the body will be sold out as scrap."
petet16

Post by petet16 »

Given that Biman is possibly the most dysfunctional airline known to man anything is possible, I can't see any enthusiasm for a preserved DC10 in the UK tbh.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Birmingham Airport Flights

S2-ACR is scheduled to leave Dhaka Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport on flight BG1015 on Thursday February 20, 2014 at 08:30. It will have plenty of enthusiasts on board, all keen to ride the mighty DC-10 one last time. After a refuelling stop in Kuwait City, S2-ACR is expected to land at Birmingham in the UK at 16:20 the same day – and by then, the last point-to-point passenger flight of a DC-10 will have been completed. On February 22, February 23 and February 24 the aeroplane is scheduled to fly three local one-hour pleasure flights each day as BG002, BG004 and BG008. Each flight will be loaded with 150 enthusiasts, who have a choice of either a window seat or an aisle seat adjacent to the windows. After the final local flight from Birmingham, S2-ACR will head back to Dhaka (empty) and is being sold for scrap.
Source:

http://www.airteamimages.com/aviation_news.php?id=133

If you also read/join the Bruntingthorpe Airfield Aircraft Status on Facebook there's confirmation on there too that the DC-10 will NOT be going to Brunty.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2687694 ... ts&fref=ts
Rob68

Post by Rob68 »

Well, i went up on Sat morning..................
Two Tickets £150, £100, Two Breakfasts, £9.20, Dinner at Weatherspoons £28.50, Car Park £27 and 1 Gallon diesel £6.92. Total £321.62.......mmmmmmmm.
Was it worth £321? No
Am i glad we did it? Yes.
Do i feel a tad cheated if she goes for scrap? For some reason yes
Would i do it again, yes but not soon

Putting it into perspective I paid £75 for the last Viscount flight 10 years ago so money wise it was on a par

Oh yes a quick calculation, 132 window seats by £150 by 8 flights plus 132 seats by £200 added together comes to £182000 plus the non window seats..............
Broadwas

Post by Broadwas »

The final flight of the DC-10 got a mention on last nights ITV Central News. It would seem that it's going to be scrapped, seems that the engines are worth £ or $250,000. I don't know if that's each or for the three. Either way it looks like someone made a fair bit of cash out of the 'Final Flights'
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I'm glad you had a good time Rob but that was a very pricey day out, still, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and sometimes it's difficult to put a price on that. It cost me a lot of money to chase VC10's around last year, some thought I was crazy, I could have had a nice holiday for the amount I spent but I don't care, I got to see the last VC10's fly and land and for me it was (almost) priceless.

A couple of DC-10 articles on the BBC website;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-26323216

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-26259236
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I am in two minds about the DC-10, The first time I ever flew on an airliner it was LHR-LAX, in '76, Dad was a captain on VC-10s at the time. For some reason the VC-10 was not flying to LAX but BA were opperating Air NewZealand DC-10s, I think flown by Air NewZealand aircrew but with BA cabin crew, by '77 Dad had converted to 747s and every susquent trip was we took was on those, so I feel somhow cheated of a VC-10 trip
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I never flew on a VC-10 *throws small tantrum* but I think I have flown on a DC-10, not that I remember it. It would have been Lufthansa and somewhere in the depths of the loft I might have a photo, knowing my luck it'll turn out to be a 727 though :lol:

I'm now going off to look for the photo!
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

I'd never been on a DC10, but I did fly to LAX and back on a Caledonian Airways Tristar in 1992 (I'd say if any aircraft can be thought of as the "American VC10" for the excellence of its design, it'd be the L-1011). Also a trip to Miami on a Continental 747-200 "classic" in 1987, so it's nice to have the original widebody set, so to speak!

It was also fun flying the old fashioned way. I doubt I'll ever fly on another plane with bright purple carpets on the flight deck! :lol: