VC-10 1151 Airfoil

Any VC10 related discussions.....
CapitanCrash

VC-10 1151 Airfoil

Post by CapitanCrash »

Hello!

I'm doing some preliminary research for a potential project in X-Plane 11/12. My specialty is aerodynamics and engine systems. I am looking for plots of the Pearcy and Haines airfoils used on the VC-10 for both the main wing and the horizontal stab for root and tip. Specifically I need the plots to generate the Lift and drag polars at various Reynolds and mach number configurations utilizing XFLR. Any help locating or identifying such a schematic would be hugely helpful.

Thank you very much
~Crash
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Re: VC-10 1151 Airfoil

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hello,

I have never seen a proper plot or ordinate file for the VC10 airfoil shape. If you find one, I would love a copy. I do have a few old reports about the type's aerodynamics, but I don't think the information you're looking for is in there. See the link at the bottom of this page for example: https://www.vc10.net/Technical/wing_shapes.html
I suspect that if there is a drawing somewhere, it may be in the Brooklands Museum archives. I have seen the index for the BAE Systems archive at Farnborough and I cannot remember seeing something like that in there.
If I do find something in the reports I have, I will get back to you.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I do not have a source with a clear plot, but I do have some articles that may be of use. Send me an e-mail at vickers <underscore> VC10 <at> zonnet.nl and I can share some stuff with you.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
AlanT

Post by AlanT »

I have been working on a VC10 simulation using Flightgear. As you have discovered, there is very little data available on the internet. and as I am now living in Portugal I can not easily visit the archives held in Brooklands Museum, so I have used Datcom and OpenVSP to make my own aero model.
The best drawing I have found was by AAP Lloyd originally in Aeromodeller magazine. It includes several wing sections, which conform to photos and sketches that I have seen.

This report https://reports.aerade.cranfield.ac.uk/ ... 826.2/1212 has some aircraft polars and a set of derivatives for the Super VC10. This work was done by my colleagues at BAC Warton. At that time I was running the flight simulator at Brooklands.

Be aware that simulation computers were not very sophisticated in those days and it was necessary to simplify the data.
In this case they used small perturbation equations where all the lateral derivatives are those at the trim condition, and do not vary with incidence. Also there is no yaw damper data specified, so I assume that the yaw damper is included in the Nr derivative. The tail trim is also not specified, so they probably trimmed the simulator via the elevator.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Alan