End of an era at St. Athan

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Laurieg

End of an era at St. Athan

Post by Laurieg »

Well, guys. The last Major has finally left us. We have all been guilty of being a bit blase about this happening but when it happened there were a few glum faces in the shed :( . It has been a long time coming and to see half the workforce leave almost overnight does make you feel a bit down now that it has come to this, (at least it does with me).

We are also moving out of the 'Super Hangar' and back to Twin Peaks, (which has had a face lift), so here we go again, cramming everything into half as much space. It will not stop us giving you guys as good a product as we can but it feels like a step backwards somehow.

We have moved most of the gear over already and seeing this place without the staging in it does make you realise just how big an asset this hangar is. (I suppose we have been spoilt over the last 6 odd years).

So all you crews that route-burgle this prime trip to St. Athan just remember to carry on taxiing down the lazy to the greenhouse at the bottom left. Believe it or not, there are human beings still working here!!!

One up-side to this is the number of hiss-up's we are having. I am off to one tomorrow afternoon with the team in Cardiff. Some 250 of allcomers are having one in the SGT mess as well, to say nothing of all the leaving do's. We have just had one last night in the LM rugby club, (perhaps that was why quite a few did not appear this morning)!!!

Anyway, have a good christmas, wherever you might be. Stay safe and we will see you next year.
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
LSS

Re: End of an era at St. Athan

Post by LSS »

Laurie its an end of an era thats for sure, from Majors at Brize, then Abingdon and finally at Saints. All the best to you and have a good christmas.
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Indeed, a sad time... that major should keep the last 10 going a while yet though...

All the best to all of you at St A...

Tonks :D
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
AJW

Post by AJW »

:( How much detail do you guys go into with the minors? When is 108 due in next?
petet16

Post by petet16 »

108 is here presently :)
AJW

Post by AJW »

Awesome, thanks for the info! I don't suppose you have any photos of her there do you?

How long will this servicing allow 108 to fly for until the next maintenance? (assuming everything remains airworthy on it!) - or is this likely to be her last scheduled maintenance?

Thanks