XV101 to retire

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Chris K

XV101 to retire

Post by Chris K »

As already announced by DangerMouse, XV101 will be the next VC10 to leave the fleet. She is now scheduled to arrive at Brunti next Tuesday (20 December).

XV101 has always been my favourite VC10, so it will be especially sad to see her retire. So many fond memories.
nickwilcock

Re: XV101 to retire

Post by nickwilcock »

XV101 was also the first truckie VC10 C Mk 1 to be converted to VC10 C Mk 1K standard, I understand?
ICM

Post by ICM »

As with the other aircraft recently, I've just run a quick logbook check for memories of 101 - and it appears that I saw very little of her at all. An early conversion trip, a couple of legs on my first sqn route, a double-shuttle out of Gutersloh, and not another mention in the 18 months or so that followed. Very odd. Did she have a problem in 1977/78?
Ian Macmillan
chirtman

Post by chirtman »

Any rough time frame for either departure from Brize or arrival at Brunty? I would appreciate any advance notice as I need nearly an hour to get there, would love to see them come in again.
Thanks in advance if anyone knows.
Chris
AJW

Post by AJW »

I have just been going through my Grandfather's log books with my Dad.
My Grandfather (Sqdn Ldr Johnny Walker) flew XV101 37 times as far as we can make out.
As well as regular trips down the line (Akrotiri, Gan, Changi etc) he flew to Yesilkoy for a 'day trip' on 7 Oct 1970,
he flew into Teeside (close to where he went to school before the war - Guisborough) on the way back from Akrotiri on 13 Dec 1970,
and he flew in 101 for the last time on March 8th 1972 taking her from Gan to Hong Kong.
All in all he flew in 101 as Captain for 172 hours 10 minutes - or the equivalent of 1 week, 4 hours and 10 minutes!
Her retirement tomorrow will leave just 4 VC10that he flew - 104, 106, 108 and 808.
808 was the first aircraft he flew after he joined 10 Squadron on January 12 1968, 106 was the last plane he flew in on 21 December 1976 (just before he retired) and 108 holds very special memories for us after he died in 2004.
Save 108!!!
AJW
AJW

Post by AJW »

Due to land at Bruntingthorpe at 11.30am tomorrow is the latest I have heard.
DangerMouse

Post by DangerMouse »

Sorry for the very late update:

XV101 is due to leave Brize at 10:50am and arrive at Bruntingthorpe at 11:40am.
chirtman

Post by chirtman »

AJW wrote:Due to land at Bruntingthorpe at 11.30am tomorrow is the latest I have heard.
Many thanks to AJW, got to Brunty to see 101 do her two passes.
Chris
AJW

Post by AJW »

I managed to get there too. Some pictures to follow (when I get a chance to post them!)

Don't thank me for timings.....that's all thanks to DangerMouse and the guys on fighter control! I'm just the messenger!!
chirtman

Post by chirtman »

Yeah I only just registered at the FC website, some great info there and great people with a passion for aircraft, should have found that site earlier. Thats the thing with the internet, you can find a dozen sites that repeat the same info almost verbatim, but you need to dig a bit deeper for specific info.
Cheers anyway, afterall the purpose of the web is to spread knowledge.
Only info I can find for any future VC10 retirements mention well into next year now.

Chris
DangerMouse

Post by DangerMouse »

Well I have the latest OSD information right next to me (doesn't seem to update regularly to be frank) and it doesn't look like/I can't really see another one going until the second half of next year... :)

Happy New Year too...!
chalky

Post by chalky »

It is a very good chance that your Grandad flew me home from Changi to Lyneham in 1967, in XV101. I was allowed into the cockpit to meet the crew. The captain signed a flight brochure itinerary for me and I still have it. I will have to dig it our to read the signature. Of all the planes I have been in the VC10 still is my favourite.
Murray Keene

Post by Murray Keene »

I remember volunteering to go on a jolly up to Waddington to take a plane load of WAAF's on an air experience flight. They asked me to help serve them orange squash and gobbly boxes (snack boxes) as the poor old loady was on his own. So this I duly did showing off to the hundred odd girls, one I ended up dating and later getting engaged too :shock: I saw sense though just in time ha ha.

Had to calm a few nerves and explain that "NO the back of the wing isnt falling off thats the flaps" - as the flap gearbox kicked in and started whirring :lol: When the main gear dropped out with a thump - well.....'screams'

I remember 101 as a 'sparkler' always seemed to be very clean and she was used on a Royal prep once so we had to polish EVERYTHING even the door tread plates, until they became mirrors! I was told to 'DEPOLISH' the one the queen was coming in through as it could have been embarrassing for her :shock: So I had to duly rough it up again with flour paper :?

Thank you 101!
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Correct, but not the first one to get back to 10 Squadron as it was kept on for testing. XV103 was the first C1K back in service. See here: http://www.vc10.net/Data/first_flight_dates.html

Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.