New photo viewer thingy on the site...

Changes? Corrections? Additions? New forums? Post your questions, suggestions or comments here. Also I'll try to let you know what's happening with the site.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

New photo viewer thingy on the site...

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hello,

As other sites started looking a lot more modern than mine I felt that I had to do something to keep up. I've been trying out a photo viewer, which is a free download called Lytebox, and converted one page to see how it looks. For now only the G-ARVM page has this viewer installed but I will start converting other pages soon. Let me know what you think! Click on the G-ARVM link and then click on any photo to try it out. With the photo enlarged you can use the arrow keys to move to the next photo or click on the buttons or the photo itself. Escape or the close button brings you back to the page.

One good thing about this viewer is that images are sized to your monitor automatically, with the previous setup I stuck to a maximum size and hoped that it would fit. This way if you have a low resolution setting the photo will not fall off your screen. With widescreen monitors becoming the new standard this is a better solution.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
DangerMouse

Re: New photo viewer thingy on the site...

Post by DangerMouse »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:Hello,

As other sites started looking a lot more modern than mine I felt that I had to do something to keep up. I've been trying out a photo viewer, which is a free download called Lytebox, and converted one page to see how it looks. For now only the G-ARVM page has this viewer installed but I will start converting other pages soon. Let me know what you think! Click on the G-ARVM link and then click on any photo to try it out. With the photo enlarged you can use the arrow keys to move to the next photo or click on the buttons or the photo itself. Escape or the close button brings you back to the page.

One good thing about this viewer is that images are sized to your monitor automatically, with the previous setup I stuck to a maximum size and hoped that it would fit. This way if you have a low resolution setting the photo will not fall off your screen. With widescreen monitors becoming the new standard this is a better solution.
I think it looks great Jelle!

...some of those pictures are incredible!
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Update: two more pages have been changed to include the new viewer: G-ARVF and G-ARTA (with two added photos).
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

It's nice to see the photos at a better size. Though, on my system the loading of each picture seemed a little slow.
well done!
vololiberista
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Very nice, but, like the comment above, they do load a bit slow.... was better when I found the Left/Right buttons :D

Tonks =D>
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I've just run some tests on three different browsers and it does appear that Firefox is slowest in loading the animations. I'll have a look next week to see if I can change or disable some of the animations to make it run somewhat faster. The problem appears to be resizing the window, if I can get more images to be the same size then it'll run quicker too :) If the next image is the same size and it has had a chance to preload (you've spent some time looking at the previous one) then loading should be pretty quick.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I haven't had any luck with speeding up the animations yet, but I did convert the G-ASIX/A4O-AB page. Also there are some new images on the G-ARVF page showing the interior that was installed for the sheikh.

I'm also trying to update some of the older images on my site with larger versions or new scans. If you look at for example the interior photos of A4O-AB then you may notice a difference here. Not all the photos are done yet as I've recently scanned most of my old negatives from my days at Brooklands but haven't gotten around to rescanning some of the other photos.
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

H Jelle,

If you want any new photos, give me a shout :D

Tonks --+0+--
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I reckon that I can never have too many VC10 photos, so feel free to send some over :wink:

I've changed some parameters on the viewer in the meantime and the loading/resizing speed should be somewhat quicker now. To be sure that you've got the latest version load one of the pages mentioned above and hit 'F5' or the reload button before trying it out.

Edit: I've also updated the pages about XR809/G-AXLR and G-ASGC so you could use those ones to test the new settings.
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

The photos load at a much more respectable speed :-)
vololiberista
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

The next page which was due for an overhaul is the one called 'Test specimen'. I also thought it fitting to revisit this page right now as it is exactly 50 years ago that much of this testing was going on in preparation for the first flight in June 1962. Additionally I was able to incorporate some new photos and scans but also a load of photos from the Brooklands Museum archives (with thanks to Robin Voice and others). Have a look and see what was happening 50 years ago today....

Test specimen