BOB

Any VC10 related discussions.....
GJD

BOB

Post by GJD »

Latest BOB news:
Sadly she will not be going to RAFM Cosford for preservation due to the risk of flying her in on a short runway.
BOB is now scheduled to land at Bruntingthorpe next week.
It is hoped that if we can get enough support we will keep her as a running exhibit in the CWJ collection subject to purchasing her from the DSA.
Manofmendip

Re: BOB

Post by Manofmendip »

Hi Gary

Thanks for this news.

In a way, if BOB can be kept as a 'runner' with CWJ Collection I feel that would be better than being a static frame at Cosford.

I would urge all of the members of our 'VC10der Loving Carers' group to support Gary in his plan.

Best regards.

Dave
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

A silver lining on a cloudy day!

A much better fate for BOB than rotting slowly on static display.
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Indeed Richard, and Gary has emailed me to say that he would like our members to throw all efforts iinto BOB, which I think we should do.

Dave
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I have to say I am happier with this solution purely because of the way Cosford treated the last VC-10 "we" gave them. It would also be very bad if Bob did end up having a landing mishap going into Cosford so rather this than any injuries both human and airframe!

Is this an absolute definite for Bob being kept in 1 piece or does his fate lie with funding?
petet16

Post by petet16 »

By the "last" VC10 I assume your referring to the BA one that Cosford had, if so, your comment is very unfair on Cosford, BA weren't prepared to offer any support for the upkeep of the airframe and as a consequence it deteriorated badly.
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

Cheers guys. I for one will try my utmost to support Gary where I can. The poor old girl is looking a little sorry for herself out on the ramp at the moment. Quite high on the oleos.
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

I thought you would Laurie. Will you be going up to Brunty on 26th August, I will be and we could travel up together.

Dave
petet16

Post by petet16 »

How did the BA 10 make its arrival at Cosford ?
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Pete - G-ARVM flew into Cosford. Elf n Safety was slightly more lax in 1979!
petet16 wrote:By the "last" VC10 I assume your referring to the BA one that Cosford had, if so, your comment is very unfair on Cosford, BA weren't prepared to offer any support for the upkeep of the airframe and as a consequence it deteriorated badly.
G-ARVM is the frame I was referring to and it was more a tongue in cheek comment. I don't know the factual in's and out's of what happened to G-ARVM, like was BA support originally offered and then taken away after her arrival at Cosford? I don't know what sort of support is being offered for XR808, if any? I just didn't want history repeating itself.

Anyway, so now it looks like Bruntingthorpe (GJD) are going to end up with 2 VC-10's, can they afford to keep 2 live or will 808 replace 241 or will one become static?
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Gary will no doubt make known his intentions on here but 241 is engineless at the moment and he has asked me to ask our group members to put our efforts into 808.

Dave
petet16

Post by petet16 »

Thumper wrote:Pete - G-ARVM flew into Cosford. Elf n Safety was slightly more lax in 1979!
petet16 wrote:By the "last" VC10 I assume your referring to the BA one that Cosford had, if so, your comment is very unfair on Cosford, BA weren't prepared to offer any support for the upkeep of the airframe and as a consequence it deteriorated badly.
G-ARVM is the frame I was referring to and it was more a tongue in cheek comment. I don't know the factual in's and out's of what happened to G-ARVM, like was BA support originally offered and then taken away after her arrival at Cosford? I don't know what sort of support is being offered for XR808, if any? I just didn't want history repeating itself.

Anyway, so now it looks like Bruntingthorpe (GJD) are going to end up with 2 VC-10's, can they afford to keep 2 live or will 808 replace 241 or will one become static?
Thanks for the reply, I doubt there was any sort of formal agreement between BA and Cosford, it was just that I seem to recall that when Cosford decided to scrap the aircraft BA caught the lions share of the criticism as it appeared that they had declined to provide any support, no matter now really, what's done is done.

It would make sense to put the effort into preserving BOB as the more historically significant airframe.
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

I'm prepared to help Gary with BOB too.

I am still saddened that the flying project couldn't attract the support it needed.

You would think that there might be some local support in Oxfordshire as the home county of Brize.
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Hi Richard

That's good.

Yes it is a shame but we were not supported by the powers that we needed support from, who we understand want to see the end of having to provide support for the VC10.

Dave
peak45139

Post by peak45139 »

Would love to see 808 back in its original white scheme one day!