Sad, sad news...

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Tonkenna

Sad, sad news...

Post by Tonkenna »

Sad news today...

It was announced today that as of 14th October 05, 10 Sqn will be disbandedand and 101 will remain as the only VC10 Sqn. It was also confirmed that 3 more VC10s (2 K4s and a C1K) will be scrapped this year.

Ummmmmm :( :(

Been expecting it, but still sad news... especially as I am on 10 Sqn. Guess I will be digging out my old badges.

Tonks :( :( :( :(
Laurieg

Sad, Sad news

Post by Laurieg »

Oh wow, Tonkers! Has this been on the books for some time? Us yolkels in Wales usually get the news late but this is not good. Is there any plans for a disbandment party etc? If so how do we keep in touch? I was ex 10 myself and it is a shame to see the squadron a/c coming to us for scrap. :-({{|=

I expect to see one appear on Ebay sometime. If the whole kite then the bits :P
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
LSS

Post by LSS »

The joining of the 2 Squadrons has been rumoured for a while. As for the departure of another 3 Queen of the Sky's it was going to happen sooner or later (mores the pity). At least there will be a few flying fore some time yet.

LSS A Rules
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

It had been on the cards for many months (years to be honest), but as to which Sqn was a well-ish kept secret I have no doubt there will be a big party... keep an eye on PPRUNE, I am sure details will be announced. Are you a member of the 10 Sqn Ass Laurig??

I hope bits don't end up on Ebay, the idea is that they are going for spares!!! :shock:

Tonks 8)
Laurieg

sad, sad news

Post by Laurieg »

The bets are on as to if the aircraft get here with the control column badges still intact :wink:

No. Tonkers, I never did get around to joining. If I wasn't down route I was either up here or in the LSS bar :roll: Bit remiss of me really. I will keep an eye out on Prunne.

Who is running the assoc and are they still taking orders?
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
LSS

Post by LSS »

No more 10 Sqn Now 101 sqn only was what I heard today,
Shame as have worked on both. LSS A, 10 Sqn ans 101
Am about to again :D
Chris Eley

Post by Chris Eley »

Can anybody clarify? Does the "intended scrap list" include ZA147 (ex. 5H-MMT) and/or ZA148 (ex. 5Y-ADA) and if so what's going to happen to the maintenance records of these aircraft? I have a special intrest in them from their original placement with East African Airways. Chris.
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Chris,

Neither of those jets will be scrapped as they are K3s and rather more useful tankers than the K4s. The ac to be chopped are 2 K4s and a C1K.

Tonks
MiniMadAndrew

The C1K which will be scrapped

Post by MiniMadAndrew »

Does anyone know which C1K will be scrapped as my Grandad used to fly and there were many significant planes in his career in the RAF. Any information would be much appreciated.

Andrew Walker
MiniMadAndrew
LSS

Post by LSS »

I do know it will be by the end of the year. I also Know the tail number that is supposed to go but can't really say, suffice to say that my information says is one of the XR series.
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

LSS, Does it have an ongoing u/c problem :?
If so, won't be sorry to see the end of that one :lol:

Tonks 8)
LSS

Post by LSS »

For as long as anyone can remember ... Certainly had it in the 80's, 90's and more :wink:
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Over 4 mins for me a few months ago :shock: Worked fine 2nd time :D

Tonks 8)
MiniMadAndrew

C1K for scrap

Post by MiniMadAndrew »

Firstly, what is an u/c problem and is the C1K that is likely to be scrapped 807 as that airframe was the one that my Grandad first flew as captain and the last one that he ever flew, so is special to the family.

MiniMadAndrew
MiniMadAndrew
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Hi MMA, u/c is the under carriage or landing gear. You will be pleased to know that XV807 is not the one to be scrapped and is working fine... flew it only a few days ago...

Tonks 8)