VC10 Retirement Tribute Polo Shirt - Final Designs

Any VC10 related discussions.....
ACLVC10

VC10 Retirement Tribute Polo Shirt - Final Designs

Post by ACLVC10 »

Hi Guys

These are the final 2 designs me and Helen have come up with, we have tried to listen to everyones ideas on this but as im sure you will appreciate it has not been possible, so with this in mind we have come to compromise and come up with the following 2 designs:
VC10 Polo 1.jpg
Polo One
VC10 Polo 2.jpg
Polo Two

Both me and Helen are working on the next step now which is getting quotes for getting these printed up to the highest quality possible, early indications are that these would be priced around the £20 mark with postage & packaging being extra. Please also be aware that any profit that we make we will be donating this to keeping a VC10 in preservation.

Please can everyone that is 100% interested in this please PM me with your preference of design so we can finalise which one will go to print.

Many thanks

Andy and Helen

--+0+--
ACLVC10
Manofmendip

Re: VC10 Retirement Tribute Polo Shirt - Final Designs

Post by Manofmendip »

Hi Andy & Helen

Polo 1 gets my vote.

Well done and thanks to you both.

Dave
Laurieg

Post by Laurieg »

I like em both! I have at least 10 buyers here. Let me know how it goes.

Have booked for the mess evening do on the 10 Oct. Anyone want to have a fling in Carterton/Witney area on the last week of September? Last flight, I believe, is 23rd
Never had a GE's wallet. It was always empty when I got back but I always had a smile on my face :-)
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

That's LaurieG, thanks for support :)

I will let you know when we have a confirmed design etc

Andy

--+0+--
ACLVC10
zaffie 03

Post by zaffie 03 »

Hi, guys and girls

Please re-instate the 'www.vc10.net' logo on the sleeve

it adds an element of tasteful recognition . . . .

Zaffie 03
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Everyone wants to keep it simple plus it also keeps the printing costs down :)

Andy

--+0+--
ACLVC10
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Thank you for your feedback Zaffie, unfortunately, adding another logo (or even type) to promote the forum adds an extra £60 to the order total which is already very high.

Also, the orders so far are coming from this website so everyone already knows of it. To make the shirt more popular to outside members we removed the website address so it appeals to non members and doesn't look too much like a "club". With every order, a receipt will be sent out which will include details of this website, forum and the 'VC10 Preservation Trust', that way the information will be there but it won't be advertised on the shirt itself :D
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Is there a "VC10 Preservation Trust"?? There is a loose collection of folks who would like to preserve one, but that is a far as it goes as far as I am aware. It should be clear that this cannot be a money collection effort for a "charity" that does not exist or that it is a company making a profit... I don't think you can do any more than charge an "at cost" price. I am no tax or business law expert but I think it needs to be very carefully thought out what the shirts is for beyond showing an interest in an aircraft...

If you make a profit what happens to the money, especially if the "trust" never happens, who is the treasurer etc?

Again, just my thoughts...
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Andy

Indeed, points well put.

The 'VC10der Loving Carers' group has just over 30 members but we do not have a committee or any legal status but our membership could forme the basis of a preservation trust to work alongside Gary at Bruntingthorpe and I hope that you and I get the chance to talk to him when we are up there next weekend.

If he would like us to form that trust then I can circulate another newslatter to members, call a meeting of members and form a committee and agree a constitution for the grup; perhaps with a view to seeking charitable status.

ATB.

Dave
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

All this seems to be getting rather technical, all we ever wanted was to raise some money to go towards the preservation of a VC10.

I didn't realise this idea was going to be so hard to achieve :(

Im starting to wish I never thought of the idea if I knew all these hurdles were going to chucked in our way :(

Sorry rant over, all I want to do is raise money for the VC10!!

Andy #-o

--+0+--
ACLVC10
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Andy,

Tonks has a very valid point but don't give up. I am sure as a group we will get something organised. The important thing is you and Helen have shown initiative and got off your backsides and are doing something.
Let's see what happens when Dave meets with Gary in a couple of weeks and go on from there.
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Manofmendip wrote:Andy

Indeed, points well put.

The 'VC10der Loving Carers' group has just over 30 members but we do not have a committee or any legal status but our membership could forme the basis of a preservation trust to work alongside Gary at Bruntingthorpe and I hope that you and I get the chance to talk to him when we are up there next weekend.

If he would like us to form that trust then I can circulate another newslatter to members, call a meeting of members and form a committee and agree a constitution for the grup; perhaps with a view to seeking charitable status.

ATB.

Dave
Dave, as you know I am very keen to be involved, whether it is as a committee member or just getting dirty and greasy fixing the aircraft! :)
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Andy...

Not trying to be awkward, but if you collect monies for charitable fund there are legal requirements. There is nothing to stop you producing a shirt or whatever and selling it, but you cannot claim it is for a trust or charity that doesn't exist... I am fairly sure that that is technically fraud. Someone could rightly ask where that money is going, and at the moment there is no where for it to go...

Don't forget, for it to be a charity and thus exempt tax etc it has to be registered as a charity and there are implications and legal requirements to that as well, which is why you can't just stand in a street and ask for money for any old cause. There is nothing wrong with the idea and your enthusiasm is great... the whole thing just needs to be set up, if nothing else to protect individuals!

As has been said above there needs to be an idea of where the future direction of the 10 and "our" support is going before we rush into fund raising...

Tonks
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Manofmendip

Post by Manofmendip »

Hi Andy

Don't get downhearted. We can all buy the shirts, at cost, at the moment. Then when and if we form a properly constiuted group or charity -the latter is a legally tricky thing to set up, needing trustees and so on - then we can sell them at a profit to raise money. There were a 1,000 people at the 'VC10 at 50' at brooklands museum and so we might sell a lot of shirts, one day.

Tonks and I will try to have a word with Gary, next weekend, about the group's involvement and support of his project and we will report to the grop members, by newsletter, and on here.

You are doing a good job mate, these things just take time to set up. :D

Best.

Dave
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Perhaps some rewording is required then.

"Free VC10 Retirement Shirt with every donation of £20+, all donations go towards the upkeep of XR808"

I do believe that by using the word donations gets around the legal side of things are there are millions of individuals out there who ask for donations towards various things, forum owners being a big one.

The problem I personally have for doing these shirts at cost is that it achieves nothing, or at least it does not achieve what Andy set out to do which was to raise money and awareness towards the upkeep of a VC10, namely BOB. A lot of time and effort has been put into this venture so far and a certain amount of hassle, so it would be a shame if it all went tits up.

Onto the shirts themselves. I have been having several problems with the production side of things which I will go into below.

The biggest problem so far is cost. We're looking at £400 trade price (I offered to cover artwork commission at a further 10%). It's still a lot of money for 30 polo shirts though, that's also ALL printed, no embroidery.

The second issue is the material. Polo shirts are made of a "porous" type of fabric. Printing and/or embroidery on this type of fabric is tricky due to it's almost stretchy makeup. So far we are receiving quotes using high quality "Fruit of the Loom" shirts. The worry with embroidery and printing is that over time the shirt will shrink, even a tiny amount which will cause bunching around any artwork. This is not a pleasant look. A good quality heavy duty cotton 't' shirt will offer a much better base for artwork to be laid.

The third issue which I briefly touched upon before is copywrite. The printers have asked me twice now if I have permission to reproduce the artwork on the shirt which is of course copywrite, along with the aircraft name and manufacturer. If I was producing just 1 shirt for myself then copywrite would not be such a huge issue but as these shirts are to be "given away with a donation" then advertising comes into play, which is where copywrite also comes into play. Part of the reason why the vc10.net writing was removed from the shirt is because we have had no feedback from the forum owner(s) with regards to this shirt so we don't want to be splattering the website name over something they have had nothing to do with or at least approved, this could of course be changed but we have not contacted the forum owner due to this whole venture being up in the air so much. It also adds a further £60 to the production cost.

Finally, the chosen design is at the top of this page as 'Polo 2', with the Vickers VC10 writing at the top. Me and Andy have gone with the majority vote, I'm sorry we couldn't find a design that pleased everyone, it was quite tricky and took 11 attempts!

I would really appreciate everyone's opinions on the above, it would be nice to somehow make this work but it has to be said that Andy and me are feeling somewhat exasperated. It's the end of a long week and we were both looking forward to getting things moving along especially in time for the Brunty Open Day when Bob will have her first public airing but this looks to be unachievable now given the large amount of work that still has to be done.

Regards
Helen