Forum access on Smartphone/tablet via Tapatalk or TouchBB

Changes? Corrections? Additions? New forums? Post your questions, suggestions or comments here. Also I'll try to let you know what's happening with the site.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Hello all,

I've been experimenting with a bit of add-on software on the forum which allows forum access through an app on a smartphone or tablet. For those of us that use iPhones, iPads, Android phones or tablets and Windows phones, this makes for easier browsing of the forum than through the phone's browser. I've now got two options for you:
  • Tapatalk is available for Apple, Android and Windows Phone, see here: http://www.tapatalk.com/. The app is free (the PRO version isn't) but you will need to sign on for a Tapatalk ID. It provides full forum functionality though, including PMs, photo uploads and such things. I've found it to be a very easy to use app, especially the 'unread' page which lets you see all the new posts very quickly.
  • TouchBB is available for Apple only, the app is free (Lite version only) and you don't need to sign up for anything, but functionality is less than with Tapatalk. Basically it is only a reader and I noticed that some forums were ordered differently. See here: http://www.touchbb.com/
I'd appreciate some feedback on these options from you guys!
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Thumper

Re: Forum access on Smartphone/tablet via Tapatalk or TouchB

Post by Thumper »

I do (but rarely) use my Android phone for accessing forums when out and about, for instance this forum when BOB arrived at Bruntingthorpe.

Tapatalk is very good, it's easy to use and as you say allows full functionality of the forum.
AJW

Post by AJW »

I have tried to use it for this forum and others, but have never seemed to be able to make it work...do you have to tell the app which forums you want it to control? I am usually online via my phone, so am quite keen to try it out!
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I can only tell you the (approximate) steps I had to go through, but they may be slightly different for your phone:
  • install Tapatalk and sign in with Facebook or a Tapatalk ID (cannot remember the third option). A Tapatalk ID only requires an e-mail address.
  • Go to the main menu, choose Explore and search for 'VC10'. It should find this forum.
  • Select it and enter your forum login and password when prompted.
  • From this point on the forum should be listed in the main menu under 'accounts' and below it you should see various options such as 'unread' which lists only unread topics, or 'forums' which shows the full structure.
The app seems to lack controls and/or buttons at first but I found that it became pretty easy after a few tries. For the main menu just swipe to the right from the 'unread' page for example. Alternatively keep hitting the buttons at top left. The button at top right usually has the function you're looking for hiding underneath it.

Hope this helps!
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Used to have it a while ago on my iPhone, but rarely used it. Just had a look on the android App Store and there are loads of versions and I can't tell which is what... prob won't pay for the app any tbh LOL

Tonks :mrgreen:
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I'm using this one right now: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapatal ... 80732?mt=8

It's a free version, haven't found any ads in it yet.
AJW

Post by AJW »

Do you have to go into the app to view the forum then? Or can yo get it to redirect you from the www site?
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

I think there is an option to let it detect the app, I don't know if it redirects as well. I've got this switched off though as otherwise people would get a reminder every time they visit using their phone or tablet. Personally I don't like nag screens like that.

So in short: yes, with the app installed you get to the forum by opening the app. Browsing the forum through the app is smoother on a phone as you don't have to login, and it is sized for the phone's screen. You don't have to zoom in and out so much.
AJW

Post by AJW »

Ok, thanks for the info...ill do some downloading and see what happens!
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Downloaded last night, looks good, just need to get used to it now :)
ACLVC10