lets keep a close eye on the survivors

Any VC10 related discussions.....
vololiberista

Re: lets keep a close eye on the survivors

Post by vololiberista »

ICM wrote:"Those crispy morning departures" - how well I still recall them from the mid-70s. In MQs at Brize, still in bed, maybe 0630-0700, the 4-Conway sound starts in the near distance, a departure for Bahrain, so almost certainly at Max Take-Off Weight. It picks up. I can imagine the flight deck calls "V1 - Rotate - V2." The aircraft makes a slight right turn onto the departure leg out to Park Corner, some 16 nautical miles away, and the crackle starts as the jet efflux tears through the still morning air. And it's still audible, though becoming fainter, all the way out till the big left turn to head south towards Green 1 - and only once the efflux has gone through fully 90 degrees does the sound vanish. It was like nothing else I've known.
Not unlike this then :-)
(Before viewing be sure to turn up your speakers and sub-woofer to absolute maximum) I take no responsibility for the destruction of your sound system!)
vololiberista
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFTyVYLhV0o
NewquayVC10

Post by NewquayVC10 »

Thumper wrote:I don't think anyone sits on an internet forum all day, that would be rather boring even if it was VC10 related! I use the forum on my phone, plus I'm female so I am excellent at multi-tasking :-)////)
Sadly I would like the time to be able to sit on a forum but would probably fail the technology requirement!!

Will work on developing my feminine side to improve the multi tasking!! :D

Now to find out what a PM is and how to read one.... [-X
ranger one one

Post by ranger one one »

ZA147 departed 10.10 local today
NewquayVC10

Post by NewquayVC10 »

ICM wrote:"Those crispy morning departures" - how well I still recall them from the mid-70s. In MQs at Brize, still in bed, maybe 0630-0700, the 4-Conway sound starts in the near distance, a departure for Bahrain, so almost certainly at Max Take-Off Weight. It picks up. I can imagine the flight deck calls "V1 - Rotate - V2." The aircraft makes a slight right turn onto the departure leg out to Park Corner, some 16 nautical miles away, and the crackle starts as the jet efflux tears through the still morning air. And it's still audible, though becoming fainter, all the way out till the big left turn to head south towards Green 1 - and only once the efflux has gone through fully 90 degrees does the sound vanish. It was like nothing else I've known.
I remember sneaking out of work at BAe Filton to photograph the first tanker conversion (Stripey) maiden flight and having been used to a diet of Concorde and F111s taking off, hearing the Conway start up for the first time sounded so different, fell in love with VC10s then!!
Jazz707

Post by Jazz707 »

ACLVC10 wrote:Makes perfect sense Jelle, lets hope everyone stick to it now? :)

Andy

--+0+--
Agreed Andy, some common sense from the forum owner. Only he decides what is OK here.

You are still free to report what you see on FR24 etc, as well as any other public forum, for example ANY details the CAF at Newquay gave on their website/twitter etc prior to the VC-10 arrival. Thanks also to those who go to the trouble of posting info here, which also helps towards planning to see events like this (and which so many benefited from with BOB's arrival at Brunty) etc.

In keeping with the thread title, ZA147 made some Warton locals very happy today with multiple approaches there, en route Leuchars as Tartan 51.
spikeXR809

Post by spikeXR809 »

Hi everyone
For those who are interested I have the Arrival time of the VC10 that went to Leuchers today back to Brize on Monday.

If you are interested please PM me.

Cheers

Ian
spikeXR809
peak45139

Post by peak45139 »

So with 147 & 150 now seemingly going to Bruntingthorpe sometime week commencing 23rd Sept, have the plans for these 2 to be preserved at either Cosford or Gander fell through then or is there a chance they could indeed fly out of Bruntingthorpe at a later date into preservation?
Craig

Post by Craig »

peak45139 wrote:So with 147 & 150 now seemingly going to Bruntingthorpe sometime week commencing 23rd Sept, have the plans for these 2 to be preserved at either Cosford or Gander fell through then or is there a chance they could indeed fly out of Bruntingthorpe at a later date into preservation?
Land and fly out is near enough impossible. Still no guarantee that's where they'll end up though...
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

For anyone interested it's ZA147 at Leuchars so I presume ZA150 will be 'doing it's thing' for Brize families day today.... hopefully!
Jazz707

Post by Jazz707 »

ZA147 already mentioned going to Leuchars.

As far as we know, official word on the final flights etc is not here yet, so any reports/rumours need confirming. As does this one!... talking with a (what should be well informed source) at Newquay, one of the last two flyers could be going by road from Brunty to Cosford. We'll see!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Jazz707 wrote:ZA147 already mentioned going to Leuchars.

As far as we know, official word on the final flights etc is not here yet, so any reports/rumours need confirming. As does this one!... talking with a (what should be well informed source) at Newquay, one of the last two flyers could be going by road from Brunty to Cosford. We'll see!
Surely if they were going to road one from Brunty though then they'd have taken Bob as originally planned! And it'd be far easier to fly into Shawbury if you're going to road it in.
Jazz707

Post by Jazz707 »

Good points, maybe they just gave up with Bob and thought we'll try again later with a K3.

Just speculation, which i know was 'done to death' during the 'Bob to Cosford' saga.

Remember Kemble is twice as far as Brunty to Cosford, and thats where R1 XV249 was flown, for roading up to Cosford! So Shawbury wasn't chosen then either. Go figure! Is it more to do with where the companys contracted to deal with these moves are based (and so the best place for all the preperation of the aircraft)? ASI at Kemble and GJD at Brunty? Who knows!
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

Just a quick note to share a bit of info I received: current information is that the scheduled last flight will be to Bruntingthorpe on Wednesday 25th September around 11am. Details will be confirmed later and everything is of course subject to technical and weather issues.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Jazz707

Post by Jazz707 »

Thanks for sharing that, i thought Spike's info would be good! Nice one guys =D>

Hopefully see you there Jelle... you'll regret it if you don't man!
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Jelle Hieminga wrote:Just a quick note to share a bit of info I received: current information is that the scheduled last flight will be to Bruntingthorpe on Wednesday 25th September around 11am. Details will be confirmed later and everything is of course subject to technical and weather issues.
That's not good news, all my plans are based on the original date of September 23rd. :(