Travelling to Brunty on the 25th, anyone?

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Chris Melaisi

Travelling to Brunty on the 25th, anyone?

Post by Chris Melaisi »

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to fly down from Edinburgh to either Birmingham or East Midlands for the final VC10 Landing's at Bruntingthrope on the 25th of this month.

My only issue is getting from EMA or BHX to Brunty, as there are no Transport links to the airfield!

Is there any chance any of you pass either Airports and could pick me up?
Of course my Petrol money will be a very generous amount and I'm a nice guy too!! :wink: :lol:

Thanks,

Chris. :D
Sylar

Re: Travelling to Brunty on the 25th, anyone?

Post by Sylar »

If I can get the day if and the info is correct regarding the arrivals I will be going. It's all a bit fluid at the mo as nothing has been confirmed as far as I know.

Also unless you have connections to someone at Brunty you won't get in. I tried for ZD241 but was turned away, however unless someone here has those connections a pm would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Shane.
Last edited by Sylar on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anglojet

Post by Anglojet »

Same here. If anyone is heading up from down south or passing the Heathrow area I'd appreciate a lift.
buccaners2

Post by buccaners2 »

I'm going but can someone have a word with Gary so we can all get in to see them.
VC10BAC

Post by VC10BAC »

I'd like to go too, but won't attempt making the trip without Gary announcing that access to the airfield is possible, whether that be by PM or announcement on this forum.
Al

VC10BAC
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

I'd also like to go, perhaps Gary should sell tickets to raise money to help keep BOB going? If not, are there any decent vantage points to watch it fly over?
Rover75

Post by Rover75 »

I am going regardless of being able to gain access to the airfield. To see the last Super VC10 flying is an event that I do not intend to miss.

Not is it just of significance to the VC10 story but it will be the last opportunity to see a Vickers aircraft in front line service with the RAF. The final flight of the VC10 will also close a chapter of British aviation history as the last of the trio of jets from the 1960s (1-11, Trident, VC10) is retired from front line service.

Mike
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

To put the retirement of the VC10 further into perspective, after 25th September it will be the first time in 100 years that no Brooklands-built machines serve in the RAF. Truly the end of an era.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Chris Melaisi

Post by Chris Melaisi »

Great to hear that some of us are going along!

Back to my original point though, can anyone give me a lift? - I could get to Leicester or Coventry if that helps?!

Chris :)
Sylar

Post by Sylar »

Chris, I'll pm you later tonight.

Shane
NewquayVC10

Post by NewquayVC10 »

If it helps anyone, I am weighing up Brize v Brunty on the last day.

If access was possible at Brunty, I would travel up from Newquay and be happy to fill the other 7 seats in the van en route for forum/carers on the basis of donation to Bob fund in return for the access but appreciate that it may not be possible due to other prioritys. It might help that it could be just one vehicle to deal with to minimise nuisance to Bruntingthorpe staff.

So if access is possible then confirmation by posting or PM would be great and those that would need a lift/ pick up also by PM on condition that if it is no access/no trip and they are willing to make a donation to BOB at least equivalent to the normal running days fee or whatever is set by Gary.

Dont know if this is helpful but its an idea!
Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Please refer to this post I was asked to make regarding the final flights and bear in mind Gary is an extremely busy man.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=774
Rover75

Post by Rover75 »

Chris Melaisi wrote:Great to hear that some of us are going along!

Back to my original point though, can anyone give me a lift? - I could get to Leicester or Coventry if that helps?!

Chris :)
I will be coming from Nantwich, Cheshire so will be using the M6/M1.

I see that Bruntingthorpe has a pub........

Cheers

Mike
chrisVC10

Post by chrisVC10 »

I'm coming up from down south Guildford way. Going up the M25 past Heathrow so feel free to PM me if anyone needs a lift, however I can't venture too far off course as I don't have a sat nav.

Also thinking about going quite early in the morning as I know how sporadic the flight times can be. I'll never forget driving 2 1/2 hours before to Yeovilton to see the VC10 at the confirmed time of 1PM only to find it had landed 10 AM. Never again!

What do people think, up there for 8?

Also, looking on Google Earth, Bruntingthorpe seems to be surrounded by heavy tree cover, are there any gaps in the trees to see the landing?

And finally, are both ZA147 and 150 landing on the same day?
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

The following has been posted on the Bruntingthorpe Aviation website:

"Please note that the very last flight of the VC10′s will be happening on Wednesday 25th September with either one, or two aircraft (to be confirmed) making the last flights ever and landing at Bruntingthorpe. Estimated time of arrival will be 12:00 midday although this is subject to change and weather. Some limited public viewing will be allowed in site in a designated area."