Operation 'Sleep Deprivation' - ZA148, 12.08.13 More Added

Post all photo threads, or photo-heavy threads here. (Links to) videos are also welcome here.
Craig

Re: Operation 'Sleep Deprivation' - ZA148, 12.08.13 More Add

Post by Craig »

ranger one one wrote:Craig- i do agree with your comments that you can make the lens 'work' by not using in at its limits.

My view is that for about £1200 its a lot of money for a piece of equipment that only partially works.

Bob
A fair comment mate, but I don't think any lens works at its best at its maximum. The problem you have is for a Canon 100-400 alternative you're talking serious £££ of the type that makes £1200 look like small change. As with all things I think for many (me included) it's a compromise, but the best I could do with what I could spend. Not sure how I'd feel about going back to a "twist" lens, yes dust is a problem, but that'll be a lot of "twists" to get from 100mm to 400mm, something that can be done very quickly with the current setup.
Flour Power

Post by Flour Power »

Just been having a bit of a play and came up with this...

Into the Sunset. by Flour Power 99, on Flickr

For all my complaining about the 100-400, it's still pretty good. :-)/\/\/\)
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

That's a beauty of a shot FP!!

For what it's worth, I have an old twist 75-300 on my Canon and love it, yeah it's rubbish quality compared to many others but I borrowed a 100-400L for Yeovilton Airshow and I hardly saw any difference in image quality, I also hated the push/pull mech and my sensor had a lot more dust on it at the end of the day than using my twist lens. Auto-focus tracking I have problems with on both lenses, not sure if it's the body or the lens but no matter what the weather I end up hearing that lovely churn of the focus mechanism as it tries to figure out if we're going to focus on an aircraft or something else, quite what the something else is I have no idea!

Interesting to read about lens calibration, I might look into getting that done on mine and the body is coming up to it's annual service and clean, being an EOS 30D sensor cleaning involves the use of a broom followed by a Henry hoover.

Anyway, once again that's a lovely shot FP, a shame you did not enter the VC10 photograph competition on Fighter Control!
Rover75

Post by Rover75 »

Flour Power wrote:Just been having a bit of a play and came up with this...

Into the Sunset. by Flour Power 99, on Flickr

For all my complaining about the 100-400, it's still pretty good. :-)/\/\/\)
Now that is some photograph =D>
Flour Power

Post by Flour Power »

Thank you both. :)

When I started photography, back in the early eighties, so called 'one touch' zooms were the thing to have. Being able to manually focus and zoom at the same time was an obvious advantage - particularly when togging moving subjects. Come forwards thirty years and separate-ring zooms are far more prevalent as we no longer have to look after focus. The push / pull zoom is out of favour.

Being an old timer, I'm happy with the single control arrangement but I'd not refuse the offer of a new 70-200 f2.8. :lol:

My lens is one of the early models from c1998 and is chock full of dust (which has no detrimental effect on the image) but I've never been aware of it blowing any more dust on the sensor. I'm far more worried about the rattling of dislodged bearings! :-({{|=

Sadly I hadn't seen the FC comp but I doubt I'd have done terribly well anyway. Congrats to Andy for getting a placing!

Pip pip!