Night Voyager...

Room for non-VC10 related issues, anything fits in here actually.
Gsxr600

Re: Night Voyager...

Post by Gsxr600 »

vololiberista wrote:
Of the Airbuses the 330 and 340 are the ones I prefer.
I think the stretch A340 is very impressive. Like the 4 engines of the 340 which looks unusual in this age of twin jets.

I read recently that the voyager uses 340 wings as the AAR pilons are mounted where the outer engines would have been and fed with fuel through the ducting that was already built into the wing for the outer engines. Very handy arrangement and payback for Airbus building in so much commonality between their models. Not sure if standard 330s have the same wings with the hard points and ducting left dormant or only the voyager is specially fitted with 340 wings.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Gsxr600 wrote:
vololiberista wrote:
Of the Airbuses the 330 and 340 are the ones I prefer.
I think the stretch A340 is very impressive. Like the 4 engines of the 340 which looks unusual in this age of twin jets.

I read recently that the voyager uses 340 wings as the AAR pilons are mounted where the outer engines would have been and fed with fuel through the ducting that was already built into the wing for the outer engines. Very handy arrangement and payback for Airbus building in so much commonality between their models. Not sure if standard 330s have the same wings with the hard points and ducting left dormant or only the voyager is specially fitted with 340 wings.
I may be talking total nonsense here but the way I read it was the two had the same wings, Airbus didn't see the need to re-engineer when it worked!
Gsxr600

Post by Gsxr600 »

Would be interesting to know more about that. Seems amazing that all the A330s in the world are flying round with extra hard points and engineering designed for the 340 which hasn't sold in great numbers and is now out of production I believe!
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Whoops, only just seen this. Great photo, thought it was a runway or road I was looking at on first glance!
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Thumper wrote:Whoops, only just seen this. Great photo, thought it was a runway or road I was looking at on first glance!
It's a new form of airway to help pilots navigate in the dark!
vololiberista