Request total hours all airframes GJD,RAF,Brooklands,Newquay

Any VC10 related discussions.....
vc10boy

Request total hours all airframes GJD,RAF,Brooklands,Newquay

Post by vc10boy »

Just a shout out for any info on total hours flown on all recently active ex RAF VC10,s.GJD at Bruntingthorpe or the RAF should have all the info regarding final total of hours flown for each airframe, just to gather the info before its lost,just for the history books sake.Newquay museum k4 hours,and the k4 at Surrey Brooklands and A40-AB and GARV-M....also GARV-F at Hermeskeil museum hours would be great aswell...can anybody help?...
vc10boy,s photo,s of VC10,s over the years...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/116993858@N08/sets/
ACLVC10

Re: Request total hours all airframes GJD,RAF,Brooklands,New

Post by ACLVC10 »

Brooklands and CAF Newquay have K3's, good luck with your quest :)
ACLVC10
vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

your right,,a bit tired today,would be good to get the info re recent retirements as these things tend to get lost after a while for ever...see re Abingdon post re hours flown

Magnum

Post by Magnum »

I am due to visit Gary later this month so I can ask him if he has any information then if you haven't found out in the meantime.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

vc10boy wrote:your right,,a bit tired today,would be good to get the info re recent retirements as these things tend to get lost after a while for ever...see re Abingdon post re hours flown
It would be nice to know, see which frame has had the most work :)
ACLVC10
vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

Magnum ,thanks so much re asking Gary,im sure now most of them have been shredded and sent to china [incidently does any one know were the aluminium ended up?].. they should be no issues with the M.O.D re secrecy,security :wink: ect...as i say its just to get the info for history,s sake.. before its lost forever...and yes ACLVC10 it would be intresting to know how much use the RAF got out of 241?

EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

We've got all the paperwork here for 148. If someone can give me a steer as to which doc or bit of paperwork to search for, I'll take a look but there is an awfull lot of it !
petet16

Post by petet16 »

The F700 should have the current flying hours total in it.
vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

Thanks for reply,but i couldnt say re what to look for,in my mind its like on a car,on an instrument in the cockpit?..would be great to go thru the file on your vc10 and scan the most intresting bits of her history on this site.Wonder where all the documentation went on the other scrapped RAF fleet went?,would be good to have them all in an archive at Brooklands rather then bits and peices ending up on fleebay or worse still in the skip.Didnt each airframe come with its 1960,s era wooden box (from the woodwork department of BAc Weybridge?)with the reg of each airframe stenciled in white on the wooden box for paper work ect..altho i see xv102,s canvas type document holder was on ebay last wk..anyway i digress...

Are the total landings of each airframe recorded in the cockpit ?

EGDGZTCW....Hows progress at Newquay?,did you get her ready for the winter?,does she suffer badly from condensation with all her insulation stripped out apart from her forward cabin ?..and is there any evidence of the time she slipped off the jack in 1967 while in EAA service?,is she still due to be a cafe?,what progress has been made re cafe conversion?,as ive said before it might be a good move contacting Robin Voice at brooklands re looking after her long term,weak points corrosion issues,preventative action ect

EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Not sure there is anywhere on the flightdeck that records hours or landings but happy to be corrected and shown.

ZA148 was delivered with many files, AP's and associated stuff. Eight large boxes in all came with the aircraft in August. Since then another pallet load of storage boxes has arrived from Eng Records at Brize. There must be a dozen or so of them at least. You would need a very big hangar to house all the paperwork from all of the airframes. No wooden box seen.

We have been suffering badly with condensation but the aircraft is vented when ever we can. Trouble is the weather has not been good but on sunny days all of the orifaces are open including the radio bay door underneath. We get as much fresh air aboard as and when we can. Wind has been a problem and will continue to be until it is decided on where she will be parked on a more permenant basis and tied down. Until then she is weighted with fuel and the the nose wheel secured between two large water containers. Even so she still dances on her chocks and a restrapping of these containers was required this afternoon. We've had 60 mph winds for two days now and she is in the lea of the hangar but the movement has to be seen to be believed.

Evidence of the jack incident has probably gone from the rear cargo hold area as this was rebuilt and strengthed during conversion, not sure about the engine area though. I have been in the hold area but didn't stay in there too long.

The restraunt project has been shelved for the VC10 ..... sense has prevailed.

I am in contact with Robin Voice and he has given me a few pointers which I have passed on to our engineers.

Chris
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

The hours and landings etc are recorded in the aircraft F700... the maintenance log. Each ac has/had one and they would have been delivered with the ac. The captain would sign for the ac in there and sign it back in...

Nothing is recorded in the cockpit similar to a cars odometer.

Tonks --+0+--
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Tonkenna wrote:The hours and landings etc are recorded in the aircraft F700... the maintenance log. Each ac has/had one and they would have been delivered with the ac. The captain would sign for the ac in there and sign it back in...

Nothing is recorded in the cockpit similar to a cars odometer.

Tonks --+0+--
I've got the F700C but should I be looking for the 700A ?

Chris
petet16

Post by petet16 »

No, there is no form of recorder for hours or landings on the flight deck.

Condensation is likely to be an ongoing issue, short of hooking it up to a dehumidifier I think opening it up at any opportunity is the best compromise, you could possibly remove the discharge and emergency valves from the l/h nose wheel tunnel, and leave the access door from the cabin to the RE bay open to allow some airflow.
vc10boy

Post by vc10boy »

Great advice Pete,if a constant rush of air can go thru the cabin thru the winter without rain water getting in this might be a huge help to the k3,s..does the condensation end up sitting in the keel area?..I,d expect Gary has disposed of any cabin side wall insulation off the k4,s and cmk1,s by now?..but would that have helped for future years re winter condensation problems re k3,s? Any advise for Nequay wind problems?...wonder if Brooklands have the same problems with their k3? ...

EGDGZTCW

Post by EGDGZTCW »

Had a look at the F700 today and found ..... 11/9/13 total 48,351.05 hrs.