First day covers

Any VC10 related discussions.....
Bill1980

First day covers

Post by Bill1980 »

I've finally managed to get hold of one of the 40th anniversary first day covers. It isn't signed by former Prime Ministers, but better still, by six of the VC10 design engineers and test pilots:

Roger Back - Chief Designer Civilian Aircraft
Jack Ratcliffe - Chief Systems Engineer, Brooklands
Michael Salisbury- Chief of Aerodynamics, Brooklands
The late Jock Bryce- Chief Test Pilot
Eddie McNamara- Engineering Test Pilot
Hugh Tyrer- Chief Metallurgist.

I have found a rather useful picture frame (!) to display it in...
Attachments
image.jpg
ACLVC10

Re: First day covers

Post by ACLVC10 »

Looks good, that must of cost a bit .....
ACLVC10
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

Not too bad actually, £21 on Fleabay. A bit cheaper than the £28,000 Conways gathering dust on there :lol:
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Oh dear Andy, you must have missed that one!! Great item Bill and very special to have the signatures on it. That Conway makes me laugh every time I see it, it was even funnier when it was in the sale and had been reduced to a bargainous £27,998! #-o
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

That's not a bad price at all. Yeah those engines just don't seem to be selling at all but for that price I'm not surprised :)
ACLVC10
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Thumper wrote:Oh dear Andy, you must have missed that one!! Great item Bill and very special to have the signatures on it. That Conway makes me laugh every time I see it, it was even funnier when it was in the sale and had been reduced to a bargainous £27,998! #-o
Yeah my spotting skills aren't as good as they used to be, plus the fact my budget isn't as good as it used to be :(
ACLVC10
Bill1980

Post by Bill1980 »

Thanks Helen and Andy.

I'm not much of a philatelist. The only one of those elegant VC10 stamps I had was on a birthday card someone sent me years ago. I just thought I'd have a punt on it and won. I doubt I'd have been lucky with the version signed by the ex Prime Ministers. :wink:

It was flown on a 10 Sqn C.1 and then on a 101 Sqn K.3. It seems quite fitting to be "reunited" with a bit of a K.3 rather than hidden away in a stamp collector's album.

Bill.
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

That's a nice find Bill, congratulations on getting that cover! There are a few familiar names on there. Mike Salisbury spoke at the 50th anniversary do in 2012, I guess he's still around. Jack Ratcliffe passed away a year or so ago, he designed a lot of the electrical systems on the VC10. Hugh Tyrer passed away in 2010, a very knowledgeable gentleman about all things to do with metallurgy who worked as a consultant after his retirement. Some parts of this page are based on a report he wrote: http://www.vc10.net/Technical/hingetube ... ement.html
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.