New (temporary!) career for ZD241

Any VC10 related discussions.....
ZD241

Re: New (temporary!) career for ZD241

Post by ZD241 »

You make some very good points and I dont disagree with you. I think now that more people realise the situation regarding who each party is, will make understanding things a little clearer. The future of 241 isn't in doubt, which is great.

What now remains to see if the group can muster the cash to operate and own 241. Given the struggles that 558 has with funding, I think the jury is out on that one. Going back to 558, even non aviation fans
Are wowwed by what 558 is and does. The VC10 will struggle to get that support from anything other than hard core aviation fans. Sadly it will never hold the same appeal to most people. I want to see 241 preserved for many years to come and think that the group needs to set realistic targets in order to achieve this. I don't think the GJD would sell the aircraft to the group unless they were 100 confident that the group could properly preserve it.
Tonkenna

Post by Tonkenna »

Presumably the choice of curry would be ACB or ACC only?
Indeed Nick... what more would you need! Of course you would have to eat it in about 10 mins (simulating receiving it at top-of-drop) and in terms of serving temperature it would have to be hotter than the centre of the sun (for Health and Safety of course!).

Tonks :lol:
Please check out my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zz330/
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Spot on, I absolutely agree with that 'ZD241'. Onwards and upwards, of sorts :wink: --+0+--

As for the curry, my main concern is the lack of ventilation when inevitably someone let's one go :shock:
Jelle Hieminga
Webmaster

Post by Jelle Hieminga »

The main confusion here was caused by the fact that the articles that emerged about the restaurant setup in ZD241 were somewhat loosely based on the business plans of two persons who arranged a PR moment in the VC10. I for one was not sure about the entire story when I posted it here (even mixing up two VC10s) but felt that I could better share it 'as is'. One of the problems we have in this day and age is that stories are often drawn up before all the facts are known and modern communication spreads these around like wildfire. My apologies if I have contributed to any confusion but I also have to ask everyone to treat news items like these with some care. I included the word 'temporary' in the topic title to confirm that this in no way changes any of the current plans for Gary's VC10s.

Can we agree to end this disagreement? We've got a lot to look forward to and there's plenty of work still to do and I would rather we focus on the future of ZD241 as a live airframe here.
Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little
colored lights . . . check.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

It wasn't entirely the article that has caused problems, more the fact that no-one has actually discussed this in a way to suggest that people took it as a permanent secured business. I started by simply making a joke about the cutlery shooting off during a taxi run and then took questions to validate the article over to Facebook, when I receive a reply that says "don't believe everything you read" it doesn't really answer anything because I already know that which is why I was asking the questions and looking for an explanation in the first place! Some of the responses I have got have been treated as if I have come along and said "right then, who the hell let this happen" but nowhere have I or anyone else to my knowledge taken this seriously, or as seriously as the article suggested.

No Jelle, you haven't done anything wrong, it's an interesting article about a VC10 and that's what this website and forum is all about, interest and discussion. Now we've finally got to the bottom of what's happening (or not happening) we can all breathe a sigh of relief knowing that ZD241 hasn't been sold and isn't going to be lifted onto an ex Little Chef site in central Birmingham and turned into a restaurant... yet :mrgreen:
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Couldn't of put it better myself :)
ACLVC10
Flour Power

Post by Flour Power »

vololiberista wrote:Also bear in mind that in XH558's case a curry restaurant (or chippy) would be, shall we say rather cramped!
vololiberista
Presumably, any curry house would have to be in the Bombay. :-)////)
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

Boom, boom, chee :);) ..... Or however you write it.....
ACLVC10
buccaners2

Post by buccaners2 »

Hello all
Just to let you all know in the Leicester mercury newspaper tonight they explained that the curry House in 241 was just to demonstrate a possible new venture between GJD and a indian aircraft breaker to covert old airframes into restaurants' possibly around world which i think is a much better idea than scraping them.There is no way that 241s future is going to change.
ACLVC10

Post by ACLVC10 »

That's great, thanks for putting further clarity on this subject ;)
ACLVC10
vololiberista

Post by vololiberista »

Flour Power wrote:
vololiberista wrote:Also bear in mind that in XH558's case a curry restaurant (or chippy) would be, shall we say rather cramped!
vololiberista
Presumably, any curry house would have to be in the Bombay. :-)////)
Yes, and in that case it wold be fully airconditioned too!
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I'm a little confused, I don't think any here are under any illusions that the preservation of this AC in the condition we would like it to be in will be cheap, or ever though it would be, however as has been mentioned elsewhere this is not a Vulcan, and short of operating it as a charter AC which won't happen for reasons we don't need to go over again consideration to some less obvious uses should be given as long as they don't conflict with the aim of preservation. GJD are a business and are there to make money, fortunately GJD also like old AC and as far as I can see bend over backwards to help preserve them, This did not damage 241 in any way, I assume it also made some money for GJD, no damage was done to the AC so what is the big fuss about? This is the sort of thing that has to be considered in order to keep the AC, if it's going to work we will have to go out and sell it in new ways.